Should you watch this movie? (or run away!)

1. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

My wife and I have a neighbor who seems to buy DVDs at whim, as does his wife. We have borrowed movies from them, only to find that many (most!???) are not worth watching. They have "chick flicks", "sci fi", and other "drive-in" fare in spades. but it is rare that we can borrow a movie from them that we can stand to watch all they way through. Anybody else contending with this? Any recommendations for quality films?

2. jcsd
  3. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,371
    Gold Member

Our local Blockbuster used to have a Employees' Favourites section. We found one employee almost universally liked excellent films that we enjoyed. We made sure we always went to her for recos.

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

I'm going to do what half the people on this board seem to do in GD and derail this thread with a vaguely related gripe/thought that I have.

I've really stopped buying movies unless they're movies that I continually watch when they come on TV. I realized that the epic/awesome movies like Dark Knight and Inglorious Basterds (just naming 2 movies that i recently bought) are really.... great... but lack in replay value for some reason. It seems like you can't just have the movie playing in the background which is unlike the movies ive seen like 20 times on tv that just go on in the background like Office Space or Shawshank Redemption or Gladiator. Thus, I changed my purchasing habbits to buying movies such as Gladiator or Shawshank Redemption (acutally I'm meaning to get Shawshank Redemption...) and not buying the epic sit-down-and-pay-attention movies like Dark Knight. It feels like im paying $25 to watch a movie in the end, 2 times, maybe 3.... so something like $8/viewing. That's movie theatre costs! Whereas I think I've already watched No Country For Old Men like 3 times since buying it last week.

Oh right, so what were you saying? Borrowing dvds from neighbors? Never do.

5. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here are twenty pages of great sci-fi for quality sci-fi lovers.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=290242

There are some people whose viewing tastes are so completely opposite of ours that a recommendation means that we wouldn't want to bother. Dissing means that we should probably take a look.

6. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,371
    Gold Member

I simply do not get why people have movie libraries.

If I can watch a particular film anytime I want, I will never want to.

I think this is an "older gen" thing.

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here! I never saw the sense in this. Now we can just watch just about anything at free sites like YouTube, Google vids, Hulu, or paysites like Netflix.

8. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

The first 3 don't carry any movies legally/for more then 5 seconds. Netflix can be expensive/inconvenient if you're like me and you just like watching a certain small set of movies for a loooooong time.

9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not true. There are many thousands of full-length, free, and legal movies and tv programs at google vids, youtube shows, hulu, etc. Places like Hulu are injecting normal commercials, just like regular free TV. And netflix costs just over ten bucks a month for all the dvds we can watch in that time [usually 8-12 per month or more], and unlimited online viewing.

This doesn't even include the many regular tv stations, like PBS, NatGeo, Discovery Science, History Channel, that allow online viewing of everything, or nearly so.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Oh I cant handle anything censored... which is what I'd expect at hulu. I'm talking about feature films... from the movie theatres, big budget nonsense like that. Online viewing isnt for me though because like I said, my favorite way of watching movies is to have them on in the background while i'm doing actual worK :rofl: . I do like the idea of that device or whatever that streams the movies to your dvd, that'd be cool. I want the movie on my tv, not my computer... HDTV WOOOOOT. If they could deliver blu-ray movies.... id chit my pants. Their blu-ray collections pretty lame at the moment but hopefully it'll grow. Unfortunately the movies I want to see over and over are sometimes old and sometimes non-blockbuster heavy budget dealies which I don't think they'll hae blu-rays for for a while... at least on the streaming dealie..

12. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,371
    Gold Member

Don't get that either. What do you do? Put your laptop on the mantle and watch it from a chair?

13. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Well anyway, "The Missing" (Kate Blanchet and Tommy Lee Jones) is a killer if you love 19th C history and have a strong stomach. "Missing" with Spacek and Lemmon is a bit slower but highly recommended. Settle in and mind the flash-backs.

14. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, we bought a computer with an hdmi port, for the tv. :biggrin: But before that I just used the computer video port to the respective tv video input, and the sound port pumped through an external amp, coming from my laptop. The problem there was that we had no remote volume control. It was a pain to keep messing with the computer volume. Not to mention that I didn't want to keep using my work computer that way.

Got the latest and greatest in graphics etc, so the quality is excellent. No pauses in the video when the picture is changing quickly, and no pixelation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  15. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hulu has commercials, but I haven't noticed any censoring. I consider commercials to be a great thing. That is what made television free.

Well, when you start catching up with the 21st century...

You must be one of them dinosaur pengwuins.

Some new shows are available on the internet in true HD.

16. I just download (...legally...of course.) my movies and either watch them on my TV or just lay in my bed and watch them on my laptop. To watch them on my TV I just have a media server set up and send them to my PS3 and watch them from my PS3, or else my laptop is a media centre one anyways 19" screen... lay comfortably in my bed and just watch it that way not bad at all.

Movies I've recently watched (within probably the last year) that I'd highly suggest areee:
    The Road
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Seven Pounds
    Pandorum (this one wasn't THAT greaat)
    The Cove (it's a documentary)
    Poolhall Junkies (I actually watched this lonnnng ago... it's still worth watching to this day lol)
    Spread
    Sherlock Holmes
    Moon (Highly recommend this movie actually...)
    I Love you man
    Fight Club
    9 (it's an animated movie but it's pretty good)
    Fifty Dead Men Walking
    Save The Green Planet (Korean movie... really wierd but I enjoyed it)
    Shake Hands With the Devil
    Gattaca

There was one more movie that I would HIGHLY recommend to everyone, about a man who flees North Korea to China in order to find medicine for his wife back home... I can't remember the name though

17. sas3

sas3 201
    Gold Member

I would highly recommend “Welcome to Woop Woop”

18. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

We live about 45 minutes round-trip from the video store, and NetFlix "throttles" your account when you return movies very promptly, so that you quickly hit a plateau. Just count the days between return post and new movies and count the number of movies you get in a week, and you'll see.

Since the neighbors have a huge library of DVDs, we borrow theirs. He works shift-work on a paper machine, she works shift-work caring for children with behavioral problems, and their days off rarely coincide, so they buy DVDs so that they can watch them any time they want. Their basement is like a video store. Unfortunately, most of the DVDs in any given video store are duds. We can't get cable out here in the boonies and they don't have decent line-of-sight for satellite, so they spend their entertainment budget on DVDs.

Still, we have borrowed some movies that were pretty entertaining. Drop Zone was OK, as was Hancock, Basic, and The Fan. Luckily, it doesn't cost us anything to borrow movies, except our time. If a movie doesn't look appealing in the first 20 minutes or so, we just pop it back into its clamshell box and put it back in the "return" stack.

19. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw Old Boys yesterday, a Korean movie from 2003, definitely recommendable. Aren't there legit websites where you can download movies? The only thing you need to do then is hook up a simple computer to your television.

20. DaveC426913

DaveC426913 16,371
    Gold Member

I have some friends who unsubbed from NetFlix because it seemed the films they wanted were never available or had a waiting time of weeks.

21. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,537
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here but that was some time ago. For a number of months we were trading DVDs as fast as the mail would allow with no problems less a couple of exceptions. I tend to attribute the so-called throttling to insufficient inventory for their quickly growing demand.

Netflix is by far superior to any video store options. That's a no-brainer when you compare prices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?