Shouldn't that radiation be absorbed increasing O2 kinetic energy?

The energy of the UV radiation is not enough to cause a change in the kinetic energy of the molecules, as the energy levels associated with translational motion are too close together to be affected. Therefore, the molecule does not absorb the radiation and there is no change in kinetic energy. This is due to the quantized energy levels of molecules, where different types of radiation are absorbed by different energy levels.
PPonte
O2 + 8,3x10^-19 J -> O + O

My textbooks says:

If an incident UV radiation has less energy then 8,3 * 10^-19 J nothing happens. The radiation is not absorbed.

My question is:
Shouldn't that radiation be absorbed increasing O2 kinetic energy? If not, why?

Thank you.:approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that upto know you have only ever learned that electron orbital energy is quantised, however this is not the case. A molecule has energy associated with a number of different aspects these include;

• Translational energy (molecular movement as a whole)
  • Rotational energy (the molecule rotating as whole)
  • Vibrational energy (of the bonds)
  • Electronic energy (associated with electronic orbitals)
Now, all of the above have quantised energy levels. However, as you go from bottom to top of the above list the spacing between the energy levels becomes smaller, so the quantised energy levels become less apparent. Infact, the translational energy levels are so close together that for most purposes they can be considered continuous.

As I said above, the separation between these energy levels are different, and each quanta separation corresponds to a different frequency (energy) of EM radiation. The spacing between vibrational energy levels corresponds to the energy of the infrared section of the spectrum. Therefore, if a molecules absorbs IR radiation the energy will be used to promote the molecule to a higher vibrational energy level. The rotational energy levels correspond to the energy of the microwave section. Now, as the spacings between the electronic energy levels are greatest, it follows that they would absorb the most energetic radiation, which is visble and UV light.

So basically, the answer to your question is that all energies associated with a molecule are quantised and therefore will only obsorb a specific type of EM radiation.

Hootenanny said:
Infact, the translational energy levels are so close together that for most purposes they can be considered continuous.

I am not sure (QM was never my favorite subject) but IIRC distance between transitional energy levels depends on the size of the space available. In "narrow" potential well transitional energy levels can be quite distant, while in the infinite space there is no such thing as translational energy quantisation.

Borek said:
I am not sure (QM was never my favorite subject) but IIRC distance between transitional energy levels depends on the size of the space available. In "narrow" potential well transitional energy levels can be quite distant, while in the infinite space there is no such thing as translational energy quantisation.

Borek
You are quite correct Borek, I should have clarified that I was referring to a particle in a box. However, even if the dimensions of the box are in the same order as the molecular size; the energy levels are so compact that they behave as classical physics predicts, i.e. no quantised energy levels. As you also corectly stated that in a infite space no translational energy quanta exist.

Thank you both for your help, although I haven't learned much of that.

PPonte said:
O2 + 8,3x10^-19 J -> O + O

My textbooks says:

My question is:
Shouldn't that radiation be absorbed increasing O2 kinetic energy? If not, why?

Thank you.:approve:

I think that they were referring to the absorption by the electrons, so I'm not quite sure why you would think that it would increase the kinetic energy of O2.

1. What is the relationship between radiation absorption and O2 kinetic energy?

The absorption of radiation can increase the kinetic energy of oxygen (O2) molecules. This is because the absorbed radiation transfers energy to the O2 molecules, causing them to move faster and increase their kinetic energy.

2. How does radiation absorption affect O2 molecules?

When radiation is absorbed by O2 molecules, it causes them to vibrate and rotate faster, increasing their kinetic energy. This can also lead to the molecules colliding more frequently, which further increases their kinetic energy.

3. Can radiation absorption increase the kinetic energy of O2 molecules indefinitely?

No, there is a limit to how much kinetic energy O2 molecules can gain from radiation absorption. Once they reach a certain level of energy, they will start to release excess energy in the form of heat.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the kinetic energy of O2 molecules?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the kinetic energy of O2 molecules, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules. The energy of collisions between molecules can also impact the kinetic energy of O2 molecules.

5. How does the absorption of radiation by O2 molecules impact the overall atmosphere?

The absorption of radiation by O2 molecules is an important process in the Earth's atmosphere. It helps to regulate the amount of heat and energy in the atmosphere and plays a role in the Earth's climate. Additionally, the kinetic energy of O2 molecules can also contribute to atmospheric processes such as wind and weather patterns.