Show a function has at most one Root (IVT & Rolles [quick question])

If there is more than one root in [-2, 2] then there are two points at which f(x)= 0 and therefore at least one point at which f'(x)= 0. But you can easily show that f'(x)= 3x2- 15= 3(x2- 5). 3(x2- 5)= 0 has two roots, x= sqrt(5) and x= -sqrt(5) but sqrt(5) is not in [-2, 2] while -sqrt(5) is. That is, there is only one point at which f'(x)= 0 and therefore at most one point at which f(x)= 0
LucasCLarson
show x^3-15x+c=0 has at most one root on the interval [-2, 2].

My work/attempted solution.

Using the IVT i determined that there is a possible root (N=c) within the interval of [-2,2]. because c is my constant i decided to Use [d] as my letter for explanation.

f(x)=x^3-15x+c
f(d)=d^3-15d+c
0=d^3-15d+c
-c=d^3-15d
f(-2)=22=-c
c=-22 when for f(-2)
f(2)=-22=-c
c=22 for f(2)

f is continuous on [-2,2] because it is a polynomial. Let -c be a number b/w f(-2) and f(2) where f(-2) does not equal f(2). Then there exist a root d on (-2,2) such that F(d)=-c

I am stuck there. I feel like i have done a bunch of stuff wrong so a little nudge in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to follow what you are doing especially when not using LaTex (in fact I'm not sure you are doing anything :biggrin:).

However, just ask yourself where are the turning points (the maximum and minimum) of your polynomial and you will soon see.

When they told you 'Rolle's Theorem' they were pretty well telling you that.

LucasCLarson said:
show x^3-15x+c=0 has at most one root on the interval [-2, 2].

My work/attempted solution.

Using the IVT i determined that there is a possible root (N=c) within the interval of [-2,2]. because c is my constant i decided to Use [d] as my letter for explanation.

f(x)=x^3-15x+c
f(d)=d^3-15d+c
0=d^3-15d+c
-c=d^3-15d
f(-2)=22=-c
c=-22 when for f(-2)
"when for f(-2)"? f(-2)= c+ 22, not "22= -c".

f(2)=-22=-c
c=22 for f(2)
f(2)= 8- 30+ c= c- 22. That does not say c= 22 unless you are assuming f(2)= 0- which you have no right to assume.

f is continuous on [-2,2] because it is a polynomial. Let -c be a number b/w f(-2) and f(2) where f(-2) does not equal f(2). Then there exist a root d on (-2,2) such that F(d)=-c
Don't use "c" to mean two different things. Did you mean d? But f(d)= -c is not f(d)= 0 which is what you want.

I am stuck there. I feel like i have done a bunch of stuff wrong so a little nudge in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
You cannot prove that x3- 15x2+ c= 0 has a root in [-2, 2] because it is not true: x3- 15x+ 50= 0 has NO roots in that interval. And you are only asked to prove that there are not MORE than one root.

Rolle's theorem, which you mention in your title, says that if there are two points at which f(x)= 0, then there must be an x between them where f'(x)= 0. Look at the derivative of f, not f.

What is the Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT)?

The Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT) is a theorem in calculus that states that if a continuous function has values of opposite signs at two points, then there must exist at least one point in between where the function is equal to zero.

What is the Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and has equal values at the endpoints, then there must exist at least one point in between where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

How can I use the IVT and Rolle's Theorem to show that a function has at most one root?

If a function has more than one root, then there must be at least two points where the function is equal to zero. By the IVT, there must be at least one point in between these two roots where the function is also equal to zero. However, this would contradict Rolle's Theorem, which states that there can only be one point in between where the derivative is equal to zero. Therefore, a function can have at most one root.

Can the IVT and Rolle's Theorem be used to show that a function has exactly one root?

Yes, the IVT and Rolle's Theorem can be used together to show that a function has exactly one root. If the function satisfies the conditions of both theorems, then it must have at most one root according to the previous explanation. Additionally, if the function has a unique root, then it must be both equal to zero and have a derivative of zero at that point, satisfying the conditions of both theorems.

Are there any other methods to show that a function has at most one root?

Yes, there are various other methods to show that a function has at most one root, such as using the Mean Value Theorem, the Monotonicity Theorem, or the Contraction Mapping Theorem. However, the IVT and Rolle's Theorem are commonly used and effective methods to prove this statement.