Show determinant operator Det not linear

In summary, the conversation discusses the closure of the determinant operator under addition and multiplication for square matrices of the same order. It is noted that the operator is closed under multiplication, but a counterexample is needed to show that it is not closed under addition. The conversation then explores using index notation to find a generalized counterexample, but it is pointed out that the counterexample must still involve specific matrices.
ognik
Probably trivial, but for matrices with different ranks, Det is not closed for addition?

I think it is closed under multiplication?

So really I must show Det not closed under addition for square matrices of the same order...

$ D(A_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} a_{1j}C_{ij} $ and $ D(B_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} b_{1j}E_{ij} $, so $ D(A_n) + D(B_n) = \sum_{j=i}^{n} \left( a_{1j}C_{ij} + b_{1j}E_{ij} \right) $

Now $ D(A+B) =\sum_{j=1}^{n} \left( a_{1j} + b_{1j} \right) F_{1j} = $ (I'm not sure this bit is right either way?)

So $ D(A_n) + D(B_n) = D(A+B) $ only when A+B. Is that close?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Probably trivial, but for matrices with different ranks, Det is not closed for addition?

I think it is closed under multiplication?

So really I must show Det not closed under addition for square matrices of the same order...

$ D(A_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} a_{1j}C_{ij} $ and $ D(B_n) = \sum_{j=1}^{n} b_{1j}E_{ij} $, so $ D(A_n) + D(B_n) = \sum_{j=i}^{n} \left( a_{1j}C_{ij} + b_{1j}E_{ij} \right) $

Now $ D(A+B) =\sum_{j=1}^{n} \left( a_{1j} + b_{1j} \right) F_{1j} = $ (I'm not sure this bit is right either way?)

So $ D(A_n) + D(B_n) = D(A+B) $ only when A+B. Is that close?

Hi ognik, :)

If the determinant operator is linear it should satisfy,

\[D(A+B)=D(A)+D(B)\]

for all matrices $A$ and $B$. So basically to show that the determinant operator is not linear you have to show a counterexample. Consider the matrices,

\[A=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\mbox{ and }B=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 1\end{pmatrix}\]

and calculate $D(A+B)$ and $D(A)+D(B)$.

Thanks, that - and no doubt others - do the job.

But I was trying to use index notation and a generalised counter example - to practice index notation, would you (or anyone) mind critiquing my attempt?

ognik said:
Thanks, that - and no doubt others - do the job.

But I was trying to use index notation and a generalised counter example - to practice index notation, would you (or anyone) mind critiquing my attempt?

What do you mean by a generalized counter example? It would still have to be a counter example isn't? And that means whatever approach you use you'll have to substitute specific values for $A$ and $B$. :confused:

Well, I've tried to use the cofactor definition and tried to show that the only way they are equal is if the cofactors $C_{ij} = F_{ij} = E_{ij} $ and that can't be because we started with different C and E so I guess its more a (forgotten the word) than a counter example ...and I called it generalised because it's not using specific numbers, so my terminology may be wrong?

ognik said:
Well, I've tried to use the cofactor definition and tried to show that the only way they are equal is if the cofactors $C_{ij} = F_{ij} = E_{ij} $ and that can't be because we started with different C and E so I guess its more a (forgotten the word) than a counter example ...and I called it generalised because it's not using specific numbers, so my terminology may be wrong?

But $A$ and $B$ doesn't necessarily have to be different. For example a possible counter example is,

$A=B=\begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&1\end{pmatrix}$

So even if you did prove that somehow you'll have to account for the case where $A$ and $B$ are equal.

Must.learn.to.use.counter.examples...:-)

1. What is the determinant operator (Det)?

The determinant operator (Det) is a mathematical function used to calculate the determinant of a square matrix. It is denoted as det(A) or |A| and is commonly used in linear algebra.

2. What does it mean for the determinant operator to be linear?

A linear operator is one that preserves the properties of linearity, such as the ability to scale and add vectors. In the context of the determinant operator, linearity means that the determinant of a sum of two matrices is equal to the sum of the determinants of each individual matrix.

3. How is the determinant operator used in solving systems of linear equations?

The determinant operator is used to determine the consistency of a system of linear equations. If the determinant of the coefficient matrix is non-zero, the system has a unique solution. If the determinant is zero, the system may have infinite or no solutions.

4. Can the determinant operator be applied to non-square matrices?

No, the determinant operator can only be applied to square matrices. In order to calculate the determinant, the number of rows and columns in the matrix must be equal.

5. What are some real-world applications of the determinant operator?

The determinant operator has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the area of a parallelogram, determine the stability of a physical system, and analyze the impact of changes on a market equilibrium, among other uses.