1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that determinants aren't linear transformations?

1. Jul 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Determine whether the function ##T:M_{2×2}(ℝ)→ℝ## defined by ##T(A)=det(A)## is a linear transformation.

2. Relevant equations
    ##det(A)=\sum_{i=1}^n a_{ij}C_{ij}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm assuming that it isn't a linear transformation because ##det(A+B)≠det(A)+det(B)##. So I have here:

##det(A)=\sum_{i=1}^n a_{ij}C_{ij}##
    ##det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n b_{ij}C_{ij}##

##det(A)+det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_{ij}C_{ij}+b_{ij}C_{ij})##

Meanwhile, I have...

##det(A+B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_ij+bij)(C_{ij}+D_{ij})##

I'm fairly certain that the equation directly above is incorrect; perhaps that of the one above that one, too.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What do you get for simple examples like ##A=\lambda I## and ##B=-A## before you try to prove the general case?

4. Jul 12, 2017 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

You are correct. It is not a linear transformation because ##det(A + B) \neq det(A) + det(B)## (a counterexample is easy to find, so if you do this this is sufficient to prove the statement, there is really no need to use these definitions). Moreover, ##det(\lambda A) = \lambda^n det(A)## if ##A## is a ##n \times n## matrix, which means ##det(\lambda A) \neq \lambda det(A)## in general.

5. Jul 13, 2017 #4
    I see. In any case, I'm just going to do the problem like this and hope that my teacher accepts it:

"Let ##A=[I_n]## and ##B## be an ##n×n## matrix such that ##ent_{ij}(B)=β≠0## iff ##i=j=1## and ##ent_{ij}(B)=0## otherwise. Then ##det(A)=1## and ##det(B)=0##. However, ##det(A+B)=1+β≠1=det(A)+det(B)##. Therefore, the determinant is not a linear transformation from ##M_{n×n}(ℝ)→ℝ##."

6. Jul 13, 2017 #5

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Counterexamples are more elegant imo, and you are sure there is no flaw in the reasoning, but your approach is fine.

7. Jul 13, 2017 #6
    Thanks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted