Proving that determinants aren't linear transformations?

In summary, the function ##T:M_{2×2}(ℝ)→ℝ## defined by ##T(A)=det(A)## is not a linear transformation.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Determine whether the function ##T:M_{2×2}(ℝ)→ℝ## defined by ##T(A)=det(A)## is a linear transformation.

Homework Equations

##det(A)=\sum_{i=1}^n a_{ij}C_{ij}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that it isn't a linear transformation because ##det(A+B)≠det(A)+det(B)##. So I have here:

##det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n b_{ij}C_{ij}##

##det(A)+det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_{ij}C_{ij}+b_{ij}C_{ij})##

Meanwhile, I have...

##det(A+B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_ij+bij)(C_{ij}+D_{ij})##

I'm fairly certain that the equation directly above is incorrect; perhaps that of the one above that one, too.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get for simple examples like ##A=\lambda I## and ##B=-A## before you try to prove the general case?

Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Determine whether the function ##T:M_{2×2}(ℝ)→ℝ## defined by ##T(A)=det(A)## is a linear transformation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that it isn't a linear transformation because ##det(A+B)≠det(A)+det(B)##. So I have here:

##det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n b_{ij}C_{ij}##

##det(A)+det(B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_{ij}C_{ij}+b_{ij}C_{ij})##

Meanwhile, I have...

##det(A+B)=\sum_{i=1}^n (a_ij+bij)(C_{ij}+D_{ij})##

I'm fairly certain that the equation directly above is incorrect; perhaps that of the one above that one, too.

You are correct. It is not a linear transformation because ##det(A + B) \neq det(A) + det(B)## (a counterexample is easy to find, so if you do this this is sufficient to prove the statement, there is really no need to use these definitions). Moreover, ##det(\lambda A) = \lambda^n det(A)## if ##A## is a ##n \times n## matrix, which means ##det(\lambda A) \neq \lambda det(A)## in general.

Math_QED said:
(a counterexample is easy to find, so if you do this this is sufficient to prove the statement, there is really no need to use these definitions)

I see. In any case, I'm just going to do the problem like this and hope that my teacher accepts it:

"Let ##A=[I_n]## and ##B## be an ##n×n## matrix such that ##ent_{ij}(B)=β≠0## iff ##i=j=1## and ##ent_{ij}(B)=0## otherwise. Then ##det(A)=1## and ##det(B)=0##. However, ##det(A+B)=1+β≠1=det(A)+det(B)##. Therefore, the determinant is not a linear transformation from ##M_{n×n}(ℝ)→ℝ##."

Eclair_de_XII said:
I see. In any case, I'm just going to do the problem like this and hope that my teacher accepts it:

"Let ##A=[I_n]## and ##B## be an ##n×n## matrix such that ##ent_{ij}(B)=β≠0## iff ##i=j=1## and ##ent_{ij}(B)=0## otherwise. Then ##det(A)=1## and ##det(B)=0##. However, ##det(A+B)=1+β≠1=det(A)+det(B)##. Therefore, the determinant is not a linear transformation from ##M_{n×n}(ℝ)→ℝ##."

Counterexamples are more elegant imo, and you are sure there is no flaw in the reasoning, but your approach is fine.

Thanks...

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the matrix and is used in various calculations, such as finding the inverse of a matrix and solving systems of linear equations.

2. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that creates a straight line when graphed.

3. How can I prove that determinants aren't linear transformations?

To prove that determinants aren't linear transformations, you can use the properties of a linear transformation and show that the determinant does not satisfy them. For example, a linear transformation should preserve addition and scalar multiplication, but a determinant does not satisfy these properties.

4. Can you provide an example of how determinants aren't linear transformations?

Yes, consider the matrix A = [1 0; 0 1] and the matrix B = [2 0; 0 2]. The determinant of A is 1, and the determinant of B is 4. However, if we apply the linear transformation T(x) = 2x to both matrices, we get T(A) = [2 0; 0 2] and T(B) = [4 0; 0 4], both of which have a determinant of 4. This shows that the determinant does not preserve scalar multiplication and is therefore not a linear transformation.

5. Why is it important to understand that determinants aren't linear transformations?

Understanding that determinants aren't linear transformations is important because it helps to avoid making incorrect assumptions or calculations when dealing with matrices and linear transformations. It also highlights the different properties and behaviors of determinants compared to other mathematical concepts, leading to a deeper understanding of linear algebra.