1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show equation has exactly one root

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1
    The question is show that the equation f(x)=3x-2+cos(Piex/2)=0 has exactly one real root.
    Using the intermediate value theorem f is continuous and f(o)=-1 and f(1)=1., the equation has one root. Supposing it has two roots a and b , and
    a<b. Then f(a)=0=f(b). Using Rolle's theorem there is a number d in (a,b) such that f'(x)=3-(pie/2)(sin(piex/2))=0 has a root in (a,b). But this is impossible since after factoring sin(piex/2)=6/pie is always greater than zero for all real x. I am having problems with factoring. Why is 3-(pie/2)(sin(piex/2))always >o for all x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

First it's pi not pie. Now for your question as to why it is always greater than zero this is because you reduced this to sin(pi*x/2) = 6/pi, but the range of the sine function is only from -1 to 1, and you should notice that 6/pi is greater than 1 hence 3 - (pi/2)(sin(pi*x/2)) is always greater than 0 for real x.

4. Jun 30, 2006 #3
    thank you so much. Sometimes, we have a hard time seeing the easiest step after going though the hard steps!! I am just beginning calculus and I am starting college in the fall. Thank you!! P. S. today was my first day at this forum!

5. Jun 30, 2006 #4
    Yes I know exactly what you mean, I'm glad i could help and welcome to the forums.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?