1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show if the sequence converges

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    showing it is increasing with an upper bound or decreasing
    with a lower bound

n/(2^n)

2. Relevant equations

if an >an+1 its underbound
    an< an+1 then its upperbound

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried first by finding out the sequence:
    a1=1/2
    a2=1/2
    a3=3/8
    a4=1/4
    a5=5/32

I'm assuming its decreasing, but I'm not sure if this is monotonic at all. Considering how a1=a2 and then a2>a3 and a3>a4 then a4>a5. I think it's underbound since an>an+1 but the first part threw me off since a1=a2. Someone clarify for me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is really trivial to show that sequence is decreasing. Have you tried?

4. May 15, 2010 #3
    Yea I can tell that the sequence is decreasing just by looking at that. I was taught to try (an+1)-an see if that's greater than 0 or not, but its kinda confusing with this equation. then there is also taking the derivative but it also doesn't help much because that ends up being just 1/2^n-1/2^n(log2)

5. May 15, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's good advice. What happens if you work on the inequality an+1 < an with reversible steps? Try putting the 2's on one side by themselves.

6. May 15, 2010 #5
    Ummm... do you think you could give me an example as to how to go about this. I have other problems and this one seems the most simple to actually work with. >.<;; my professor doesn't give good examples and that's usually how I work through my math. Lets see if I can get this right

so n+1/(2n+1< n/2n
    That turns into n+1/n < 2n+1/2n If i subtract that...
    so...
    n+1/n-2n+1/2n<0 so that shows that its decreasing and underbounded (meaning its bounded under something right?

but wait if i do it the other way... isn't 0>2n+1/2n-n+1/n

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  7. May 16, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need parentheses around the n+1 on the left don't you? Don't subtract anything. Just look at what you have. Simplify the right side. Compare it to the left.

8. May 17, 2010 #7
    how do i simplify 2n+1/1n? does it become 1 or something?

9. May 17, 2010 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\frac{2^{n+1}}{2^n}\neq\frac{2^{n+1}}{1^n}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook