Show resisting force is proportional to cube of speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter homestar2004
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Position
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
homestar2004
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A particle moving along the x-axis is acted upon by a resisting force which is such that at a time t for it to travel a distance x is given by t=Ax^2+Bx+C, where A, B, and C are constants. show that the magnitude of the resisting force is proportional to the cube of the instantaneous speed.


I know the chain rule needs to be used and it is just a calculus problem, but I can't seem to start it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
homestar2004 said:
A particle moving along the x-axis is acted upon by a resisting force which is such that at a time t for it to travel a distance x is given by t=Ax^2+Bx+C, where A, B, and C are constants. show that the magnitude of the resisting force is proportional to the cube of the instantaneous speed.


I know the chain rule needs to be used and it is just a calculus problem, but I can't seem to start it.

Start by writing down [itex]dt /dx = \cdots[/itex]
 
dt/dx= 2Ax+Bx

Now I know I need to get velocity, which is dx/dt, but the only way I can see is to multiply the above by dx/dt, and I don't know if that is right. What about the distance x? Where does it come in?
 
homestar2004 said:
dt/dx= 2Ax+Bx

Now I know I need to get velocity, which is dx/dt, but the only way I can see is to multiply the above by dx/dt, and I don't know if that is right. What about the distance x? Where does it come in?
HINT:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{1}{\left(dt/dx\right)}[/tex]

You might also want to recheck your derivative.