1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show set (which is a subset of R^n) is bounded

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [itex]D = { (x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} | 7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6, x^3+y \leq z \leq x^2y+5y^3}[/itex] is bounded.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of bounded:[itex]D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] is called bounded if there exists a M > 0 such that [itex]D \subseteq \{x \in \mathbb{R}^{n} | ||x|| \leq M\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have to find a M such that [itex]D \subseteq \{(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R}^{3} | x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq M\}[/itex]. I thought of just picking a very high M, say 999999. But how do I show it works?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's often easier to show that each coordinate is bounded, say x,y and z are all smaller than 10 maybe. Then ||(x,y,z)|| < ||(10,10,10)|| = M

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3
    So if I say something like: [itex]7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6 \Rightarrow y^2 \leq 3 \lt 4 \Rightarrow y \lt 2[/itex]
    and [itex]7x^2+2y^2 \leq 6 \Rightarrow x^2 \leq \frac{6}{7} \lt 1 \Rightarrow x \lt 1[/itex]
    and [itex]z \leq x^2y+5y^3 \Rightarrow z \lt (2+5*8)=42[/itex]
    So choose M = 4+1+42^2 = 1769. And this M will do.

5. Mar 3, 2012 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful, M=||(1,2,42)|| is the square root of the number you put up. As long as M is larger than 1 that won't matter, but if the norm happens to be smaller than 1 failing to take the square root can give a value of M that doesn't work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?