Show that a longitudinal wave is electrostatic

In summary, the conversation discusses using Faraday's law to show that all longitudinal waves must be electrostatic. The discussion includes writing down equations for the electric and magnetic fields, calculating dB/dt or dH/dt, and considering the real part of a purely imaginary number.
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

Show that all longitudinal waves must be electrostatic by using Faraday's law.

Homework Equations

Faraday's law:

[tex]\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} = - \nabla \times \vec{E}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start??

Physics news on Phys.org
A good place to start would be to write down any equations for the electric and magnetic fields (or auxiliary field H) for longitudinal EM waves. Then calculate dB/dt (or dH/dt)...what do you get?

I tried with

[tex]\vec{B} = B_0 \sin{[i(kx-\omega t)]}[/tex]

so

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = i \omega B_0 \cos{[i(kx-\omega t)]}[/tex]

But that doesn't really help me.

Logarythmic said:
I tried with

[tex]\vec{B} = B_0 \sin{[i(kx-\omega t)]}[/tex]

so

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = i \omega B_0 \cos{[i(kx-\omega t)]}[/tex]

But that doesn't really help me.

Don't you mean:

[tex]\vec{B} = \vec{B_0} \sin{[i(kx-\omega t)]}[/tex]

and

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = \Re[i \omega \vec{B_0} \cos{[i(kx-\omega t)]}][/tex]

...what is the real part of a purely imaginary number?:wink:

Sometimes I feel so smart that I don't know what to do with myself. ;) Thanks!

1. What is a longitudinal wave?

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles move back and forth in the same direction that the wave is traveling, rather than up and down as in a transverse wave.

2. How is a longitudinal wave different from a transverse wave?

A longitudinal wave is different from a transverse wave in the way that the particles of the medium move. In a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles move parallel to the direction of wave propagation.

3. What is an electrostatic wave?

An electrostatic wave is a type of longitudinal wave that is created by disturbances in electric fields. These waves can propagate through electrically charged mediums and can be used to transfer energy and information.

4. How can a longitudinal wave be demonstrated to be electrostatic?

A longitudinal wave can be demonstrated to be electrostatic by measuring the electric field strength at different points along the wave's path. If the electric field strength remains constant, then the wave is not electrostatic. However, if the electric field strength varies as the wave propagates, then it can be concluded that the wave is electrostatic.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic longitudinal waves?

Electrostatic longitudinal waves have various real-life applications, including in telecommunications, medical imaging, and non-destructive testing. They can also be used in earthquake detection and monitoring the structural integrity of buildings and bridges.