1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a unitary operator maps one ON-basis to another

1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an inner product space [itex]V[/itex], a unitary operator [itex]U[/itex] and a set [itex]\left\{\epsilon_i\right\}_{i=1,2,\dots}[/itex] which is an orthonormal basis of [itex]V[/itex], show that the image of [itex]\left\{\epsilon_i\right\}[/itex] under [itex]U[/itex] is also an orthonormal basis of [itex]V[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the definition of a unitary operator we have [itex]U^{\dagger}=U^{-1}[/itex]. From this we can pretty easily demonstrate that the inner product is preserved under [itex]U[/itex], i.e.
    [itex]\left\langle a|b\right\rangle=\left\langle a^{\prime}|b^{\prime}\right\rangle\quad\mbox{where }\left|a^{\prime}\right\rangle=U\,\left|a\right\rangle\quad\mbox{and }\left|b^{\prime}\right\rangle=U\,\left|b\right\rangle[/itex]​

"[itex]\left\{\epsilon_i\right\}_{i=1,2,\dots}[/itex] is orthonormal" can be stated as
    [itex]\left\langle \epsilon_i|\epsilon_j\right\rangle=\delta_{i,j}[/itex]​
    Since [itex]U[/itex] preserves the inner product, if this statement is true for [itex]\left\{\epsilon_i\right\}[/itex] then it must be true for the image under [itex]U[/itex] as well. In other words, if {\epsilon_i\right\} is an orthonormal set, then the image of {\epsilon_i\right\} under [itex]U[/itex] is an orthornomal set as well.

So we have "ortho" and "normal", but where I've hit a mental block is at the "basis" part. For an [itex]N[/itex]-dimensional space, it is clear that any set contained in the space which is orthonormal and has the same number of elements as an ON-basis of the space must also be an ON-basis of the space. What I'm stuck on is how to generalize this to an infinite-dimensional space.
    ...or am I going about this the wrong way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the transformed vectors also form an orthonormal set, then they are automatically linearly independent hence form a basis in the preHilbert space, if they are maximal. Can you show maximality ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted