1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Characteristic polynomial = minimal polynomial

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A = [itex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 0 & 0\\-1 & -1 & 0 & 0\\-2 & -2 & 2 & 1\\ 1 & 1 & -1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The characteristic polynomial is [itex]f(x)=x^2(x-1)^2[/itex]. Show that f(x) is also the minimal polynomial of A.

Method 1: Find v having degree 4.
    Method 2: Find a vector v of degree 2, whose minimal polynomial (on A of v) is [itex]x^2[/itex], and another, w, whose minimal polynomial is [itex](w-1)^2[/itex]. Or, just show that v and w exist.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm confused as to how a vector can have a degree of more than 1. Isn't a vector simply:
    [itex]v= \begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\\...\\n\end{pmatrix}[/itex] in [itex]R^n[/itex]? I think I can get the question once I understand this. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think what they mean by a vector v having degree 4 is that A^4(v)=0 but A^3(v) is not equal to zero.

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    Oh, ok. Thanks!

5. Mar 21, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome but rereading that I'm not sure what the hint really means. Since f is the characteristic polynomial you know f(A)=A^2(A-1)^2=0. To show it's minimal you need to show A(A-1)^2 and A^2(A-1) are not zero. The 'degree of a vector' seems pretty unclear to me as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook