1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that H_0^1(R) is an algebra.

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]u,v\in H_0^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex], the closure of smooth [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]-valued functions with compact support with respect to the norm defined by [tex]||v||_{1}^2=||v||^2+||v'||^2,[/tex] where [itex]||\cdot||[/itex] is the standard L2 norm. Show that [itex]uv\in H_0^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Pretty much stuck on this one. Density of smooth functions with compact support likely won't be super helpful since they're also dense in L2, and as far as I know, that space isn't closed under multiplication (if it is, then this exercise is trivial, since then we can just apply Cauchy-Schwartz and use the multiplication in L2 to bound [itex] ||uv|| [/itex]).

I would appreciate a starting point... :smile:
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect it to be very easy to show that the set of smooth functions with compact support is closed under multiplication. The problem here is that ##H_0^1(\mathbb R)##, as you have defined it, also contains all the functions that are limits of sequences of such functions. So if u and v are such limits, can you show that uv is too?

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    I think I'm close... By density, let [itex]u_n\rightarrow u, v_n\rightarrow v[/itex] in [itex]H^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex]. We can write [itex] u_nv_n-uv=v_n(u_n-u)+u(v_n-v)[/itex]. Then, to show that [itex]uv\in H_0^1(\mathbb{R})[/itex], it suffices to show
    [tex]||v_n(u_n-u)+u(v_n-v)||_1\leq ||v_n(u_n-u)||_1+||u(v_n-v)||_1 \rightarrow 0. [/tex] The first expression to the right of the inequality reads, after expanding,
    [tex] \left [\int (v_n^2+v_n'^2)(u_n-u)^2 + 2v_n'v_n(u_n-u)(u_n'-u')+v_n^2(u_n'-u')^2dx \right]^{1/2}[/tex] By the Sobolev imbedding theorem, we have that [itex]v_n[/itex] is uniformly bounded, so we can bound the above integral by
    [tex]\int (A+v_n'^2)(u_n-u)^2dx +\int 2Bv_n' |(u_n-u)(u_n'-u')| dx + \int A(u_n'-u')^2dx \\
    = A||u_n-u||+\int v_n'^2(u_n-u)^2dx+2B\int |v_n' (u_n-u)(u_n'-u')| dx +A||u_n'-u'||[/tex]for some constants [itex]A,B[/itex]. The problem is now the two terms in the middle. The left and right-most terms converge to zero because [itex]u_n\rightarrow u[/itex] in H1. If we knew that [itex]v_n'[/itex] was uniformly bounded, then we would be done. Unfortunately, this does not hold (as far as I know); all we know is that [itex]v_n'\rightarrow v'[/itex] in L2.

What next?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  5. Apr 24, 2013 #4
    OK, think I got it.

The left and right-most quantities converge to zero since [itex]u_n\rightarrow u[/itex] in H1. By Cauchy-Schwartz and the uniform boundedness of [itex](u_n-u)[/itex] (by Sovolev imbedding), [tex]2B\int |v_n' (u_n-u)(u_n'-u')| dx \leq 2B'||v_n'||\cdot||u_n'-u'||\rightarrow 0[/tex] since [itex]v_n'\rightarrow v'[/itex] in L2 and [itex]||u_n'-u'||\rightarrow 0[/itex]. We also have that since [itex]u_n-u[/itex] is continuous and uniformly bounded (Sobolev imbedding theorem), there exists [itex]C(n)\rightarrow 0[/itex] with [itex]||u_n-u||_{∞}\leq C(n)[/itex]. Hence, [tex]\int v_n'^2(u_n-u)^2dx\leq \int v_n'^2\cdot C(n)^2dx = C(n)^2||v_n'||\rightarrow 0\cdot ||v'||=0.[/tex] Therefore, [itex]||v_n(u_n-u)||_1\rightarrow 0[/itex]. Similar computations show that [itex]||u(v_n-v)||_1 \rightarrow 0.[/itex] The result follows.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. Apr 24, 2013 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The strategy I had in mind starts exactly the way you did it. I was thinking that if the L_2 norm satisfies ##\|fg\|\leq\|f\|\|g\|## for all f,g, then we might be able to use that to show that the other norm satisfies this condition too. This is either impossible, or a significant simplification. (I haven't thought about it enough to know which).

I don't have time to look at the details of your proof right now. If you think you have solved it, you probably have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted