1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that it is orthogonal to both u and v

1. Sep 11, 2009 #1

htk

find u X v and show that it is orthogonal to both u and v.

u= 6k
    v=-i + 3j + k

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/trinhkieu888/?action=view&current=666.jpg

This is what I got from the picture, but my teacher said that I have one more step to do to show that they are orthogonal, I need to do uxv

uxw = (0*-18)+(0*-6)+(6*0)= ?

and also vxw=?

If both are zero, the vectors are orthogonal.

But my problem is I don't know how to find w. Can any one please explain it to me? Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

uxw is a vector. Where are your i, j, k? I think you have it correct on your paper.

If you want to show uxw is orthogonal to u and v, remember that two nonzero vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is 0.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Call the orthogonal vector w.

If two vectors are orthogonal then the angle between them is 900

You can prove it using the dot product:

[tex]\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{w} = 0[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{w} = 0[/tex]

or finding cos(u,w) and cos(v,w) for the cross product (since you already find w). :smile:

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Excuse me, but you first say "find u X v and show that it is orthogonal to both u and v" but then start talking about "u x w" and "v x w". Where did "w" come from? If you mean that w= u x v, then, as njama said, you want to look at the dot product of w with u and v, not the cross product. You do NOT, by the way, need to divide by ||u x v|| since the problem says nothing about a unit vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook