Show that the sum of the torques at the given point is zero

In summary, the student was trying to find a way to find the sum of the torques at the given points equal to zero but was not able to do so. The total weight pushing down on the fulcrum is not just the weight of the meter stick plus the hangers, but also the weight of the meter stick itself. The force at the fulcrum is found to be 0.016 N.
VitaX

Homework Statement

2ni3add.png

Homework Equations

Torque = r*F

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiple times now to get the sum of the torques at the given points equal to zero but I can't figure out a way to do it. It just doesn't come close to becoming zero.

Edit: Forgot to add that the fulcrums location is at .6 Meters

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
VitaX said:

Homework Statement

2ni3add.png

Homework Equations

Torque = r*F

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried multiple times now to get the sum of the torques at the given points equal to zero but I can't figure out a way to do it. It just doesn't come close to becoming zero.

Edit: Forgot to add that the fulcrums location is at .6 Meters

Can you show us your calculations of the torques at those 3 points? What is the net torque about the fulcrum?

Torque at 0 Meters = .1925*1.47+2.45*.3-2.666*.6 + 5.39*.9

Torque at .5 Meters = -.3075*1.47+.2*2.45+5.39*.4

Torque at 1 Meter = 5.39*.1-2.666*.4+2.45*.7+.8075*1.47

VitaX said:
Torque at 0 Meters = .1925*1.47+2.45*.3-2.666*.6 + 5.39*.9

Torque at .5 Meters = -.3075*1.47+.2*2.45+5.39*.4

Torque at 1 Meter = 5.39*.1-2.666*.4+2.45*.7+.8075*1.47

The weight pushing down on the fulcrum (and being opposed by the force up by the fulcrum) is not just the weight of the meter stick...

berkeman said:
The weight pushing down on the fulcrum (and being opposed by the force up by the fulcrum) is not just the weight of the meter stick...

Well how would you write it because I've tried literally every possibility I could think of and all the students I talked to in my physics lab have the same problem even after talking to the physics lab instructor. We're just more confused.

VitaX said:
Well how would you write it because I've tried literally every possibility I could think of and all the students I talked to in my physics lab have the same problem even after talking to the physics lab instructor. We're just more confused.

What is the total weight pushing down on the fulcrum?

Total weight is the weight of all the hangers on the meter stick and the meter stick itself. But I have to have some negative values in my calculations somewhere else I won't get a value anywhere close to zero. The problem is what is negative.

VitaX said:
Total weight is the weight of all the hangers on the meter stick and the meter stick itself. But I have to have some negative values in my calculations somewhere else I won't get a value anywhere close to zero. The problem is what is negative.

Well, in the sum about 0, try adding in the total weights plus the stick for your one negative torque term... the total gets closer to zero, but is not zero yet. I think next you need to account for some of the stick weight in the torque at each weight position...

I don't understand what you mean when you say "stick weight at each weight position". How would you even know what that would be. You can only say the stick weight at the center of mass or fulcrum I thought.

Here's a question when implementing the mass of the meter stick. Is this right: 2.666*.6 or is it going to be 2.666*.5 where .5 is center of mass or is it going to be 2.666*.1 where .1 is distance from center of mass to fulcrum. These little things are confusing me here. I need some clarification before I can write down another equation and post on here since mine are all off.

It's going to be 2.666 N multiplied by the distance from the center of the meter stick to the point about which you are calculating the torques. If you're calculating about the left end of the meter stick, this distance would be 0.5 m.

What did you find for the force at the fulcrum?

Friend told me to use these:

Torque at 0 cm = 2.666*.5 + 1.47*.1925 + 2.45*.3 + 5.39*.9 - .6(2.666 + 1.47 + 2.45 + 5.39) = 0.016 N
Torque at 50 cm = 2.666*.5 + 1.47(1-.1925) + 2.45*.7 + 5.39*.1 - .4(2.666 + 1.47 + 2.45 + 5.39) = - 0.016 N*m
Torque at 100 cm = 1.47(.5 - .1925) + 2.45*.2 - 5.39*.4 + .1(2.666 + 1.47 + 2.45 + 5.39) = - 0.016 N*m

Guess I'm fine now.

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. Why is it important to show that the sum of torques is zero at a given point?

It is important to show that the sum of torques is zero at a given point because it indicates that the object is in a state of rotational equilibrium. This means that the object is not rotating or is rotating at a constant speed without any acceleration.

3. How is the sum of torques at a given point determined?

The sum of torques at a given point is determined by considering all the forces acting on an object and their respective distances from the point of rotation. The torques are then calculated and added together to determine the net torque at the given point.

4. What are some real-life examples of the principle of zero sum of torques?

Examples of the principle of zero sum of torques include a see-saw, where the weights on either end must be balanced for the see-saw to remain in a horizontal position, and a bicycle wheel, where the spokes must be evenly tensioned to keep the wheel in a stable rotation.

5. How does the concept of torque relate to other principles in physics?

Torque is closely related to other principles in physics such as force, rotational motion, and equilibrium. It is also related to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.