Is V a Direct Sum of V+ and V-?

In summary, we are given a theorem stating that V is the direct sum if and only if every vector in V can be expressed as a sum v=v1+v2 where v1∈V+ and v2∈V−, and if v1+v2=0 then v1=v2=0. We were able to show that if v1+v2=0 then v1=v2=0, but struggled to prove that every vector in V can be expressed in this form. However, by letting u=T(v) and using T^2=1, we were able to show that any vector v can be expressed as v=(v+u)/2+(v-u)/2, where (v+u)/
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Let ##T\in L(V,V)## such that ##T^{2}=1##. Show that ##V=V_{+}\oplus V_{-}## where ##V_{+}=\{v\in V:T(v)=v\}## and ##V_{-}=\{v\in V:T(v)=-v\}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given a theorem that said that ##V## is the direct sum if and only if every vector in ##V## can be expressed as a sum ##v=v_{1}+v_{2}## where ##v_{1}\in V_{+}## and ##v_{2}\in V_{-}## and if ##v_{1}+v_{2}=0## then ##v_{1}=v_{2}=0##.

I was able to show that if ##v_{1}+v_{2}=0## then ##v_{1}=v_{2}=0## but I am not able to show that every vector in ##V## can be expressed as a sum ##v=v_{1}+v_{2}## where ##v_{1}\in V_{+}## and ##v_{2}\in V_{-}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let v be any vector in V. Let u= T(v). Since [itex]T^2= 1[/itex], T(u)= v. Then T(u- v)= T(u)- T(v)= v- u= -(u- v) and T(u+ v)= T(u)+ T(v)= v+ u= u+ v.

HallsofIvy said:
Let v be any vector in V. Let u= T(v). Since [itex]T^2= 1[/itex], T(u)= v. Then T(u- v)= T(u)- T(v)= v- u= -(u- v) and T(u+ v)= T(u)+ T(v)= v+ u= u+ v.

I am a little confused on how this shows that any v can be expressed as a sum of v1 and v2. It looks to me like it just shows that any vector is either in v1 or v2.

DeadOriginal said:
I am a little confused on how this shows that any v can be expressed as a sum of v1 and v2. It looks to me like it just shows that any vector is either in v1 or v2.

Then you need to reread Hall's proof. v is ANY vector. u isn't any vector. u=T(v). v=(v+u)+(v-u). v+u is in ##V_{+}## and (v-u) is in ##V_{-}##.

Dick said:
Then you need to reread Hall's proof. v is ANY vector. u isn't any vector. u=T(v). v=(v+u)+(v-u). v+u is in ##V_{+}## and (v-u) is in ##V_{-}##.

AH! Thanks! I was a little too frustrated with this problem to be able to read his proof clearly...

DeadOriginal said:
AH! Thanks! I was a little too frustrated with this problem to be able to read his proof clearly...

Yes, but I've got a typo. v=(v+u)/2+(v-u)/2. Hope you noticed.

Dick said:
Yes, but I've got a typo. v=(v+u)/2+(v-u)/2. Hope you noticed.

Yea I got it. Thanks!

1. What is a direct sum?

A direct sum is a mathematical concept that refers to two or more subspaces that combine to form a larger space. It means that every vector in the larger space can be uniquely expressed as a sum of vectors from each individual subspace.

2. How is a direct sum denoted?

A direct sum is denoted using the symbol "⊕". For example, if we have two subspaces U and W, their direct sum would be denoted as U ⊕ W.

3. How do you show that V is a direct sum?

To show that V is a direct sum, we need to prove that the intersection of all subspaces in V is only the zero vector. Additionally, we must also show that the sum of these subspaces is equal to the entire space V.

4. What is the significance of a direct sum?

The concept of a direct sum is important in linear algebra because it allows us to break down a larger space into smaller, more manageable subspaces. This can make solving problems and performing calculations easier.

5. Can a finite-dimensional vector space always be expressed as a direct sum of subspaces?

Yes, a finite-dimensional vector space can always be expressed as a direct sum of subspaces. This is because every vector space has a basis, and this basis can be used to construct the subspaces that form the direct sum.