1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that wave function in coordinates x,y is normalized

1. Sep 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is described by the state of the following wave function.

wavefunction(x,y) = 30/[(a^5)(b^5)]^1/2 * x(a-x) * b(b-y)

2. Relevant equations
    integral from 0 to i of x^n * (1-x)^m dx = (n!m!)/(n+m+1)!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that normalizing means taking the integral from negative infinity to positive infinity of the probability density squared with respect to x, but I just don't know how to take that with respect to x and y. I tried looking at problems that involved a particle in a 2d box, but doing the math seems extremely difficult.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I presume when you say that is the wavefunction you mean that is the wavefunction's representation in the position (X) basis.
    In that case your statement equates to saying that
    $$\langle x,y | \psi\rangle = \frac{30}{\sqrt{a^5+b^5}}x(a-x)b(b-y)$$
    and you are asked to prove that ##\langle \psi|\psi\rangle = 1##.

What you need to do is expand ##\langle \psi|\psi \rangle= 1## in the X basis as follows:

$$\langle \psi|\psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \langle \psi | x,y\rangle\langle x,y | \psi\rangle\, dy\,dx$$

Now use the fact that ##\langle u|v\rangle = \langle v|u\rangle^*## to simplify that and substitute in your function for ##\langle x,y | \psi\rangle##. You should find that the integral factorises nice and easily.

ETA: But I don't think the integrals will exist. Are you sure you wrote the function correctly? It should go to zero as ##x,y\to\pm\infty##, but what you wrote doesn't.

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3
    It shows now boundaries, but people have suggested that I integrate from 0->a according to x and 0->b according to y.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4
    also, its (a^5)*(b^5) but the way you stated how to integrate it according to x and then y helped a lot. Not sure if the answer is correct, but I shall ask my teacher when I get it back. thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted