Showcasing a Life Achievement: What Would You Pick?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: Right behind you, Turbo. Pam and I are reaching the big 15 this year. This time next year, we will have evenly split the "before kids" time with the "after kids" time. I am utterly proud of the way our family is getting along so far.That, and I can leg-press 515 lbs.You've been twenty-two years [+3] with...You've been twenty-two years [+3] with...In summary, my proudest "achievement" is that my family is getting along so well and I can leg-press 515 lbs.
david90
If you have to show off one thing/achievement in your life, what would it be? It could be anything; cars, house, job, awards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I don't know if PF will allow me to make a list that long :biggrin:.

Anyway. I would currently like to show off the new computer I got today. Its top of the line, diectX 10.1, high capacity graphics card, 3GB ram, 2.0 GHz dual core processor, and it goes on. Plus, it has a fingerprint scanner for all of my passwords :biggrin:.

Last edited:
My cat uses his liter box.

Evo said:
My cat uses his liter box.
We're so proud of him:approve:

My daughter. She "opted out" of school today to go watch Obama -- took the bus because she's not old enough to drive.

She's also wonderfully stubborn.

hypatia said:
We're so proud of him:approve:
Yes, yes we are. I had a cat that didn't use his litter box and ...it was not good.

I'm not going to be impressed until you teach the dog to use the litter box. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I'm not going to be impressed until you teach the dog to use the litter box. :biggrin:
He's gotten good. I find that he's used the cat box quite a bit lately :approve:

My beer gut

Evo said:
He's gotten good. I find that he's used the cat box quite a bit lately :approve:

Seems he fears sliding to the bottom of that ravine as much as you do. :biggrin:

david90 said:
If you have to show off one thing/achievement in your life, what would it be? It could be anything; cars, house, job, awards.
Cars and houses are not achievements. The money you earn to buy them may or may not be an award for an achievement.

The most personally fulfilling "achievement" for me right now (in quotes because it really isn't all that impressive to people who know about it) is my astrophotography hobby.

for me, it would be my engineering degree and my car.

Sweet bass. How much was it?

My most proud thing would prolly be making it to the state geography bee 4 years in a row and being amongst the top ten once.

binzing said:
Sweet bass. How much was it?

My most proud thing would prolly be making it to the state geography bee 4 years in a row and being amongst the top ten once.

$700 total. Pretty steep, but I plan to sell off my 5-string fretless and my 6-stringer (just need to get boxes for it... FedEx won't box stringed instruments), plus I had been saving up for it since summer.

My friend just got an Ibanez five string. I'm guessing it was prolly over $1000, but his dad is a dentist, so yeah.

What are the open notes on the six string? Is it just like a guitar just a few octaves lower or what?

BEADGC

Not quite like a guitar. A bass is tuned in all 4ths, whereas a guitar goes EADGBE (usually) so that making chords is easier. You tend not to make chords on bass, so there's no real point in doing that kind of exception in tuning. Still, I have to sell it because the neck is too wide. I have fairly small fingers, and even though it's not a big deal (my teacher has even smaller fingers and he's fine), I just don't see it as being worth the effort. I'll stick to 5ers and 4 stringers.

Yeah, seems like overkill.

I found PF:approve::smile::wink::biggrin::-p

I have managed to stay comfortably involved with one wonderful woman for over 33 years, and Feb 28 will mark our 33rd wedding anniversary. It doesn't seem like much of an achievement because it has not required much overt effort, but it's very important to me and its a huge part of who I am.

Well yes, being married is obviously something to be proud of.

This was taken in the summer of our first year together. I would be lost without her.

us.jpg

turbo-1 said:
This was taken in the summer of our first year together. I would be lost without her.

us.jpg

That's wonderful! Staying together that long is something to be VERY proud of :cool: !

Awww that's a sweet photo! Congrats!

turbo-1 said:
I have managed to stay comfortably involved with one wonderful woman for over 33 years, and Feb 28 will mark our 33rd wedding anniversary. It doesn't seem like much of an achievement because it has not required much overt effort, but it's very important to me and its a huge part of who I am.

Right behind you, Turbo. Pam and I are reaching the big 15 this year. This time next year, we will have evenly split the "before kids" time with the "after kids" time. I am utterly proud of the way our family is getting along so far.

That, and I can leg-press 515 lbs.

I've been twenty-two years [+3] with my best friend and wife.

I can also wiggle my ears.

The child of Evo is one of those people that can make multiple folds in their tongues, it's weird. She can just fold it up like a fan. The folds go from left to right, not back to front. I first found out when I was watching either Ripley's Believe It or Not, or the Guiness book of World Records and she says "I can do that". :bugeye:

Evo said:
The child of Evo is one of those people that can make multiple folds in their tongues, it's weird. She can just fold it up like a fan. The folds go from left to right, not back to front. I first found out when I was watching either Ripley's Believe It or Not, or the Guiness book of World Records and she says "I can do that". :bugeye:

I believe there is a gene for this. Are you sure that you're the mother?

Ivan Seeking said:
I've been twenty-two years [+3] with my best friend and wife.

I can also wiggle my ears.

You must really like your best friend to keep him around the house with your wife.

Ivan Seeking said:
I believe there is a gene for this. Are you sure that you're the mother?
If it weren't for the delivery room pictures of a baby with long dark hair that matched the only baby in the nursery, I wouldn't be sure. She looks nothing like me. My in-laws were saying "well, she's got a lot of hair". When she got older and so pretty, they claimed that she definitely took after their side of the family. :rolleyes:

All the babies at the hospital looked like the Gerber baby, but she had long, dark hair, which fell out a few months later and was replaced by curly blondish hair. Now it's dark again. But she still has huge piercing blue, almond shaped eyes. If you look at my profile, that picture is of her.

With those eyes, all she has to do is blink at someone and they are hers.

Oh, and she's 20, single, and pre-med. <cough> Just in case anyone is interested. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
You must really like your best friend to keep him around the house with your wife.

:smile: Got me!

I haven't washed my hair for over two weeks. I suppose that's some sort of achievement.

Livin' the grunge life, Kurdt?

The one thing I show off more then anything else would have to be my 13.1-inch Dobsonian "Odyssey 1" telescope.

I call her "Big Red".

binzing said:
Livin' the grunge life, Kurdt?

Not since I show it off.