1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a Function From ##[0, 2 \pi)## to ##S^1## is cont.

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##f : [0, 2 \pi) \rightarrow S^1##, where ##S^1## denotes the unit circle in plane, and ##f(x) := (\cos x, \sin x)##. I am trying to prove various properties of this map, the first of which is showing continuity.

2. Relevant equations
    A function ##f : M \rightarrow N## between the metric spaces ##M## and ##N## is continuous at some point ##p \in M## if and only if for every sequence ##(p_n)## in ##M## converging ##p##, the sequence ##(f(p_n))## converges to ##f(p)## in ##N##.

The sequence ##(p_n)## is said to converge to ##p## if and only if for every ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists a number number ##N_\epsilon## such that whenever ##n \ge N_\epsilon##, we have ##d(p,p_n) < \epsilon##.

3. The attempt at a solution

My goal is show that continuity of ##f## reduces (somehow) to a question of whether trig function is a continuous map from between the real numbers, which we are given, although I am unsure whether this is possible. However, I encountered a simple problem along the way. Taking ##(p_n)## to be some arbitrary sequence that converges to some point ##p \in [0,2 \pi)##,

$$d(f(p),f(p_n)) = \sqrt{(\cos p - \cos p_n)^2 + (\sin p - \sin p_n)^2}$$

$$= \sqrt{\cos^2 p - 2 \cos p \cos p_n + \cos^2 p_n + \sin^2 p - 2 \sin p \sin p_n + \sin^2 p_n}$$

$$= \sqrt{-2(\cos p \cos p_n + \sin p \sin p_n)}$$

$$= \sqrt{-2 \cos(p_n-p)}$$

What am I to do with this negative sign, and the fact that ##\cos x## oscillates between ##-1## and ##1##?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You lost something between the third and second last expression.

4. Mar 2, 2017 #3
    Ah! Shoot! Here the correct expression is ##\sqrt{2-2 \cos(p_n - p)}##. So, since ##2 - 2 \cos(p_n-p) \ge 0##, we can write ##d(f(p_n),f(p))^2 = |2 - 2 \cos(p_n-p)|##. Thus, the problem reduces to showing that for every ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists a natural number ##N## such that

$$|2 - 2 \cos(p_n-p)| < \epsilon^2$$ for all ##n \ge N##.

Let ##g(x) = 2 \cos x##. Since the cosine function is continuous at every ##x##, this last statement is merely an assertion that ##g(x)## is continuous at ##x=0## using the sequence ##(p_n-p)##, which converges to zero. That is, we have that for every ##\epsilon^2 > 0##, there exists an ##N' \in \mathbb{N}## such that ##|2 \cos(p_n-p) - 2 \cos 0| < \epsilon^2## or ##|2 \cos (p_n -p) - 2| < \epsilon^2## for every ##n \ge N'##, which we know holds because ##g## is continuous.

Does this appear correct? It appears so, since each step is an "if and only if."

5. Mar 2, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Should work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted