Showing associativity for a particular set

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: But you can always add or subtract n's by shifting them between the "something with n reservoir" and the ##r_1r_2r_3## term. That's the way to get this term into the required range ##0,\ldots,n-1##. The only question is: After doing it, can there be two different remainders left?
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Let Zn denote the set of integers {0,1,2,...n-1}. Let * be a binary operation on Zn such that a*b is the remainder of ab divided by n.

Show that (Zn,*) is a semigroup for any n .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]For showing the algebraic system to be a semi-group, we have to show that binary operation * is associative.
So if a,b,c ∈ Zn,
We have to show, a * (b * c) =(a * b) * c
Now, a * (b * c) = a * rem(bc/n) (This is closed under Zn )
= rem ( (a rem(bc/n) )/n)
Similarly, (a * b) * c = rem(ab/n) * c
=rem ( (rem(ab/n) c )/n)
Now , how to show here rem ( (a rem(bc/n) )/n) = rem ( (rem(ab/n) c )/n) ?
or a rem(bc/n) =rem(ab/n) c ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
Now , how to show here rem ( (a rem(bc/n) )/n) = rem ( (rem(ab/n) c )/n) ?
or a rem(bc/n) =rem(ab/n) c ?

Two ideas:

Perhaps you need some way to express the remainder as a number.

Perhaps you could use the associativity of normal multiplication.

PeroK said:
Two ideas:

Perhaps you need some way to express the remainder as a number.

Perhaps you could use the associativity of normal multiplication.
For writing remainder as a number I have to use Euclid's division lemma, but it then brings 1 more variable quotient into account here.
Associativity of multiplication I can use but remainder hinders it.

Raghav Gupta said:
For writing remainder as a number I have to use Euclid's division lemma, but it then brings 1 more variable quotient into account here.
Associativity of multiplication I can use but remainder hinders it.

Well, you'll have to think of something else then!

PeroK said:
Well, you'll have to think of something else then!
Modulo operation I can think of but it is essentially just a operator. I have tried doing this question in many ways. Can this associativity be shown mathematically by equations? Since, by equations I am getting stuck, but I want it to solve using equations.

Write the numbers as ##q_in+r_i## as suggested in post #2.

fresh_42 said:
Write the numbers as ##q_in+r_i## as suggested in post #2.
Thanks, got it. Getting One side as r1r2r3 and other also as some r1r2r3. Which proves associativity.

Raghav Gupta said:
Thanks, got it. Getting One side as r1r2r3 and other also as some r1r2r3. Which proves associativity.

What if ##r_2r_3 > n##?

PeroK said:
What if ##r_2r_3 > n##?
Hmm.. then it's wrong. Suppose if number are 1,2,3. then 1*2*3 should be 2 but from r1r2r3 answer would be 6 which is essentially 2 for modulo 4. I thought I got an answer from equations. What should I do?

Write down what you already have and then what you want to have.

a= nq1 + r1
b= nq2 + r2
c=nq3 + r3
a*(b*c) = a * r2r3 = r1r2r3
(a* b) * c = r1r2 * c = r1r2r3
This is showing associativity but this is wrong as if we take a =1, b=2, c=3, then, 1*2*3= 2
but r1r2r3 = 6
Edit:
for n = 4 here

Raghav Gupta said:
a= nq1 + r1
b= nq2 + r2
c=nq3 + r3
a*(b*c) = a * r2r3 = r1r2r3
(a* b) * c = r1r2 * c = r1r2r3
This is showing associativity but this is wrong as if we take a =1, b=2, c=3, then, 1*2*3= 2
but r1r2r3 = 6
Edit:
for n = 4 here
You have ##r_1(r_2r_3)+\text{ something with n }=(r_1r_2)r_3+\text{ something with n }##.
Now what will you have to do, in order to get ##r_1r_2r_3## into your required area between ##0## and ##n-1##?
And what will happen, if you do this on both sides of the equation?

fresh_42 said:
You have ##r_1(r_2r_3)+\text{ something with n }=(r_1r_2)r_3+\text{ something with n }##.
Now what will you have to do, in order to get ##r_1r_2r_3## into your required area between ##0## and ##n-1##?
And what will happen, if you do this on both sides of the equation?
No, that is okay we can do mod n on both sides or in programming languages (% n).
But that we should have get from a*b*c. Why, we have to add something with n on our own?
%n or mod n should have come on its own while solving the equation.

No, you should not add something on your own. It is what you get without modulos. It's the reason why you can have different numbers and what happened in your example.

But you can always add or subtract n's by shifting them between the "something with n reservoir" and the ##r_1r_2r_3## term.
That's the way to get this term into the required range ##0,\ldots,n-1##. The only question is: After doing it, can there be two different remainders left? (Remember that ##6## in your example is too big by one ##n=4##, so we have to write ##6 + 0\cdot n= 2+1\cdot n##.)

1. How do you define associativity for a set?

Associativity for a set is the property that states the order in which operations are performed does not affect the final result. In other words, for a set A with three elements a, b, and c, the operation (a*b)*c will yield the same result as a*(b*c).

2. Why is it important to show associativity for a particular set?

Demonstrating associativity for a set is important because it ensures that the set is closed under the operation being performed. This means that the result of the operation will always be an element of the set, making it a valid mathematical structure.

3. How can you prove associativity for a particular set?

One way to prove associativity for a set is through a direct proof, where you show that for any three elements in the set, the order of operations does not change the final result. Another method is to use a proof by contradiction, where you assume associativity does not hold and then show that it leads to a contradiction.

4. Can you give an example of a set that is not associative?

One example of a set that is not associative is the set of all integers with the operation of subtraction. For example, (3-5)-7 = -9, but 3-(5-7) = 5. This shows that the order of operations does affect the final result, making it not associative.

5. What are some real-world applications of associativity in mathematics?

Associativity is a fundamental property in mathematics and has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in computer programming and data structures to efficiently perform operations on large sets of data. It is also important in algebraic structures such as groups and rings, as well as in calculus and other branches of mathematics.