1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing different physics quantities of a drum pad

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    Hey, atm I'm working on a physics project for school where we pick an instrument and answer questions about it that we'll have to present in class. I'm going to use a drum pad. The one question I'm stuck on is:
    I'm not sure if this would be right but please correct me if I'm wrong:

For frequency, I was just going to play the same beat.

For amplitude, I'm going to hit the pad harder to show a higher amplitude and softer for a lower amplitude.

For resonance and overtone, I have no idea what to do.

The definition I have for resonance is - occurs when small repeating forces are repeated at regular intervals to a vibrating or oscillating object and the amplitude increases.

The definition I have for overtone is - A musical tone that is a part of the harmonic series above a fundamental note and may be heard with it.

I am really clueless on this and any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

A drum pad is not an instrument - it is a convenient practice device used to do everything you would do with a drum, except make a loud noise. It does not have resonance, nor overtones/harmonics.

You could try an actual drum head - but even that is a 2 dimensional vibrating surface, so doesn't have the usual harmonics you are familiar with.

The Harmonics and overtones we generally consider in a study of sound, are those we find in Western music.
    They come about that way due to nearly all the instruments having long, thin [almost 1 dimensional] vibrators.
    Strings for Violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, harp, piano, etc
    Long,thin air columns in flute, oboe, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, Clarinet, Saxophone, Pipe-Organ, etc
    If you study non-Western music [Indian, Indonesian, African] "our" traditional harmonics do not have a part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook