Showing orthogonality of plane wave solutions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
user1139
Messages
71
Reaction score
8
Homework Statement
I want to show that the inner product between the plane wave solution and its conjugate is zero.
Relevant Equations
The inner product is defined as ##(u_{\vec{k}},u_{\vec{k}'})=-i\int u_{\vec{k}}\partial_{t}u^{*}_{\vec{k}'}-u^{*}_{\vec{k}'}\partial_{t} u_{\vec{k}}\,\mathrm{d}^3 x##
The unormalised plane wave solution is given as ##u_{\vec{k}}=e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}-i\omega t}##. I want to show that ##(u_{\vec{k}},u^{*}_{\vec{k}'})=0##. However, I don't seem to be able to get the answer through direct calculation. Any hints on how to obtain the answer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is also not well posed. Which Hilbert space are we supposed to work in? Is it ##\mathrm{L}^2(\mathbb{R}^3)## or is it ##\mathrm{L}^2(D)## with some finite region ##D##?
 
It seems that the inner product is propotional to $$\int \exp [i(\vec{k}+\vec{k}')\cdot\vec{x}]\mathrm{d}^3 x.$$

Shouldn't it be a Dirac-delta function?