1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a momentum space wave function is normalized

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the following expression for the Dirac delta function: $$\delta(k-k')=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i(k-k')x} \mathrm{d}x$$

Show that if a position space wave function $$\Psi(x,t)$$ is normalized at time t=0, then it is also true that the corresponding momentum space $$\Phi(p_x,t)$$ is normalized at t=0.

2. Relevant equations

$$\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)\mathrm{d}x$$

From which it follows that $$\Phi^*(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi^*(x,0)\mathrm{d}x$$

3. The attempt at a solution

We need to show that $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi(p_x,0)\Phi^*(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x=1$$

To get started, we look at the modulus squared of the momentum space wave function, which can be written as a double integral instead of a product of integrals: $$\Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi^*(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)\left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\frac{p_xx}{\hbar}}\Psi(x,0)\mathrm{d}x \right)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{p_xy}{\hbar}-\frac{p_xx}{\hbar})}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0)\mathrm{d}y \mathrm{d}x$$

From here, I'm pretty sure I'm meant to manipulate the double integral until it looks like I'm integrating a delta function, using the form of the Dirac delta given to me, to simplify, and then simplify further using the fact that the position wave function is normalized. I just can't see how to manipulate the integrand to get that far.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. This looks good to me.

You won't be able to do that. Try using your result to set up ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi(p_x,0)\Phi^*(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x## and then see if you can manipulate to get the Dirac delta function.

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integrate the last expression w.r.t. to ##p_x## and use the Dirac function definition.

5. Oct 15, 2015 #4
    Thank you both for the suggestion. So I have ##\Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)=\frac{1}{2\pi \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{i(\frac{p_xy}{\hbar}-\frac{p_xx}{\hbar})}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0)\mathrm{d}y \mathrm{d}x##, and so ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Phi^*(p_x,0)\Phi(p_x,0)\mathrm{d}p_x=\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0) \left( \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{i(\frac{y}{\hbar}-\frac{x}{\hbar})p_x} \mathrm{d}p_x\right)\mathrm{d}y\mathrm{d}x##
    ##=\frac{1}{\hbar}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(y,0) \delta(\frac{y}{\hbar}-\frac{x}{\hbar})\mathrm{d}y\mathrm{d}x##

With the change of variables ##y'=\frac{y}{\hbar},x'=\frac{x}{\hbar}##, we get ##\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x'\hbar,0)\Psi^*(y'\hbar,0) \delta(y'-x')\mathrm{d}y'\mathrm{d}x'=\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x'\hbar,0)\Psi^*(x'\hbar,0) \mathrm{d}x'=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi(x,0)\Psi^*(x,0) \mathrm{d}x=1##

And so ##\Phi## is normalized at time ##t=0##. I'm unsure if I used the property of the delta function correctly, however, since the argument of ##\Psi^*## was ##y'\hbar## and not simply ##y'##...

6. Oct 15, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks good to me. You could have made the change of variable back in the px integral by letting k = px/ħ.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted