Showing that a tiling of a chessboard is impossible

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, after discussing the possibility of covering the remaining area of a chessboard with 21 dominoes of size 1x3 after deleting one of the corner squares, it was concluded that it is impossible. This was proven by coloring the squares in a specific pattern and noting that deleting any corner square would result in an unequal number of colored squares, making it impossible to tile the board. The possibility of a 21-21-21 result with a different configuration was also discussed, but it was determined that this does not prove the possibility of tiling.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Delete one of the corner squares of a chessboard. Is it possible to cover the remaining area by ##21## dominoes of size ##1 \times 3##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I claim that it is impossible. Here is my attempt to describe my solution in words. Go to the top left corner of the chessboard, and color it red. Move right, and color the square orange. Move right and color the square yellow. Move to the right and color the square red. Continue this pattern, moving right, and when reaching the end, starting from the very left of the next eight squares. In the end, there will be 22 red squares, 21 orange squares, and 21 yellow squares. Note that in this arrangement the top left square is red, the top right is orange, the bottom left is yellow and the bottom right is red. Now, WLOG delete the top right orange square, then the chessboard could not be tiled, since we must have an equal number of of red, orange, and yellow squares since each domino covers precisely one red, one orange, and one yellow square. If the orange square is deleted, we will have 22 red squares, 20 orange squares, and 21 yellow squares.

This proves that board cannot be tiled, since deleting anyone corner is the same as deleting any other corner, because of symmetry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. QED

.Scott said:
I agree. QED
I have one question. Say that instead of deleting the orange square I deleted the top left red square. Then we would have 21 red squares, 21 orange squares, and 21 yellow squares. I know that, by symmetry, I proved that this cannot be tiled, but is there a direct explanation in this case as to why this arrangement cannot be tiled? Of course we can't, but it "seems" like we should be able to, since we have 21 of each color.

Since removing a corner square can result in a 20-21-22 result, it is demonstrated that it is not possible.
Just because you get the 21-21-21 result with a different (rotated) configuration does not mean that it can be tiled. Nothing is excluded by the 21-21-21 result.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. Why is it impossible to tile a chessboard with dominoes?

It is impossible to tile a chessboard with dominoes because a domino always covers exactly two squares, one black and one white. Therefore, it is impossible to cover all 64 squares of a chessboard with 32 dominoes, as there will always be an equal number of black and white squares left uncovered.

2. Can a chessboard be tiled with different shapes besides dominoes?

No, a chessboard cannot be tiled with any combination of different shapes. This is because the chessboard has an equal number of black and white squares, and any shape that covers more than one square will always cover an equal number of black and white squares. Therefore, there will always be an equal number of black and white squares left uncovered, making it impossible to tile the entire board.

3. Is there a mathematical proof for the impossibility of tiling a chessboard?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof that shows the impossibility of tiling a chessboard. This proof involves dividing the chessboard into smaller squares and using the fact that a domino always covers exactly two squares, one black and one white. By using this logic, it can be proven that it is impossible to cover all 64 squares of a chessboard with 32 dominoes.

4. Are there any real-life applications for the impossibility of tiling a chessboard?

Yes, the concept of tiling a chessboard has real-life applications in areas such as computer science and cryptography. In computer science, this concept is used in algorithms for solving problems involving tiling and in designing efficient computer programs. In cryptography, it can be used to create more secure encryption methods by utilizing the concept of tiling to create complex patterns.

5. Can a chessboard be tiled if one square is removed?

No, even if one square is removed from a chessboard, it is still impossible to tile the remaining squares with any combination of shapes. This is because the chessboard will always have an equal number of black and white squares, and any shape that covers more than one square will always cover an equal number of black and white squares. Therefore, there will always be an equal number of black and white squares left uncovered, making it impossible to tile the remaining squares.