1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Showing that two 4x4 matrices are similar

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given two 4x4 Matrices
    A = [0 -1 1 1, -1 1 0 0, 0 0 -1 1, 0 0 0 0] B = [-0.5 -0.5 -0.5 -1.5, -0.5 1.5 0.5 -0.5, 0 0 -1 1, 0 0 0 0]

I need to show that these two matrices are similar.

2. Relevant equations
    A = SBS^-1
    which simplifies to AS = SB

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that I need to find a non-singular invertible matrix S that satisfies the equation: AS = SB, but I have spent many hours trying to find out how to find this matrix for a 4x4 matrix. In the text and in many of the online help pages, there are only examples of 2x2 matrices that have a very obvious matrix. I have not learned eigenvalues or eigenvectors yet, and do not wish to use them unless there really is no other way to show similarity.

Thanks for any responses, and I appreciate any help on this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

It's a matrix equation. Name the elements of the matrix S (i.e. sij), multiply the matrices in order to obtain a system of equations, and see what happens.

4. Jul 26, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

just carring on from radou, S is not unique, if S is a solution, then so is 2S, so you just need to demonstrate any matrix that works

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook