1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the sine-Gordon equation is satisfied.

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently trying to show a the sine-Gordon equation is satisfied by a 'soliton-antisoliton' solution. Basically, I need to differentiate twice w.r.t. t and x separately and plug in everything as usual but my expression is getting extremely complicated and I don't know how to deal with the sin(4arctan(...)) term (this will become clear in the relevant equations).

2. Relevant equations
    sine-Gordon equation: (∂^2 θ)/(∂t^2) - (∂^2 θ)/(∂x^2) + sin(θ)=0
    where the solution is θ(x,t)=4arctan[ (sinh{(ut)/SQRT(1-u^2)}) / (u cosh{x/SQRT(1-u^2)}) ]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is rather messy so it might be a better idea if I don't write my working. However, what I have tried is differentiating directly but the expression didn't simplify and I didn't know what to do with sin(4arctan(...)). I was then told to rewrite sinh and cosh as exp functions but that still leaves a very complicated expression. I even tried doing it on Matlab (with cosh and sinh, not exp) but the LHS of the sine-Gordon equation doesn't simplify to 0 on Matlab, possibly due to the sine and arctan combining.. causing complication? Could anyone give me some tips?

Many thanks. I hope I have posted this in the correct thread!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2012 #2
    [tex]\sin\alpha=\frac{\tan\alpha}{\sqrt{1+\tan^2\alpha}}\Rightarrow \sin(\arctan 4y)=\frac{4y}{\sqrt{1+16y^2}}[/tex]

4. Dec 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply! But I believe the expression sin(4arctan(...)), not sin(arctan(4...). I believe this complicates things?

5. Dec 22, 2012 #4
    Sorry, I misread it.
    [tex]
    \sin\alpha=\frac{\tan\alpha}{\sqrt{1+\tan^2\alpha}},\,\cos\alpha=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\tan^2\alpha}}\\
    \sin 4\alpha=4\sin\alpha\cos^3\alpha-4\sin^3\alpha\cos\alpha\\
    \sin(4\arctan y)=\frac{4y-4y^3}{(1+y^2)^2}
    [/tex]

6. Dec 22, 2012 #5
    I believe that has done the trick, many thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook