Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle θ for which the horizontal component of the force on a stationary charge q1 is at a maximum, given that a charge q2 is moving with speed βc in the x-direction. Using the equation for the electric field of a stationary point charge and Lorentz transformations, the expression for the horizontal electric field was derived and differentiated to find the x-value at which it is maximum. This value was then rewritten in terms of sin θ to obtain the final answer of sin θ = sqrt(2 / (3 - β^2).
QuantumDuck23

Homework Statement

A charge q1 is at rest at the origin, and a charge q2 moves with speed βc in the x-direction, along the line z = b. For what angle θ shown in the figure will the horizontal component of the force on q1 be maximum? What is θ in the β ≈ 1 and β ≈ 0 limits? (see image)

Homework Equations

Equation for the electric field of a stationary point charge: Q/(4*pi*ε*R^2)
Lorentz transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting out with the equation for the electric field of a stationary point charge, I used the Lorentz transformations to transform the electric field expression to the reference frame moving with βc and multiplied that expression by z / ((γx)^2 + z^2)^(1/2) (equivalent to cos θ) to account for the horizontal component of the electric field. I took the derivative of this electric field expression to obtain the x-value for which the horizontal electric field was at a maximum, which was at x = b/(sqrt(2) * γ), and I rewrote this value in terms of sin θ (since the problem is asking for it in terms of θ). My final answer was sin θ = sqrt(2γ/(2γ + 1)), but that does not match up with the actual solution, which is sin θ = sqrt(2 / (3 - β^2), although for the limiting cases of β = 1 and β = 0 they are identical.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 276
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumDuck23 said:
which was at x = b/(sqrt(2) * γ)
OK. Note that γ is not inside the square root.

and I rewrote this value in terms of sin θ (since the problem is asking for it in terms of θ). My final answer was sin θ = sqrt(2γ/(2γ + 1))
This isn't correct. I think you might have made a careless error here. Check your work.

Likes QuantumDuck23
TSny said:
OK. Note that γ is not inside the square root.

This isn't correct. I think you might have made a careless error here. Check your work.

Found the error. Thank you.

1. What is the definition of "Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge"?

The Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge refers to the maximum force that can be exerted by a point charge moving at relativistic speeds in a horizontal direction.

2. How is the Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge calculated?

The Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge can be calculated using the formula F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the point charge, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. What factors affect the Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge?

The Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge is affected by the charge of the point charge, its velocity, and the strength of the magnetic field it is moving through.

4. How does the Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge relate to special relativity?

The Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge is a concept that arises from the principles of special relativity, which describe the behavior of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge?

Understanding the Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge is important in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where high-speed particles and magnetic fields are involved. It also has applications in technologies such as particle accelerators and magnetic confinement fusion reactors.