Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Horizontal Force of Relativistic Point Charge

1. Feb 14, 2019 at 2:17 AM #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge q1 is at rest at the origin, and a charge q2 moves with speed βc in the x-direction, along the line z = b. For what angle θ shown in the figure will the horizontal component of the force on q1 be maximum? What is θ in the β ≈ 1 and β ≈ 0 limits? (see image)

2. Relevant equations
    Equation for the electric field of a stationary point charge: Q/(4*pi*ε*R^2)
    Lorentz transformations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Starting out with the equation for the electric field of a stationary point charge, I used the Lorentz transformations to transform the electric field expression to the reference frame moving with βc and multiplied that expression by z / ((γx)^2 + z^2)^(1/2) (equivalent to cos θ) to account for the horizontal component of the electric field. I took the derivative of this electric field expression to obtain the x-value for which the horizontal electric field was at a maximum, which was at x = b/(sqrt(2) * γ), and I rewrote this value in terms of sin θ (since the problem is asking for it in terms of θ). My final answer was sin θ = sqrt(2γ/(2γ + 1)), but that does not match up with the actual solution, which is sin θ = sqrt(2 / (3 - β^2), although for the limiting cases of β = 1 and β = 0 they are identical.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2019 at 12:36 PM #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Note that γ is not inside the square root.

This isn't correct. I think you might have made a careless error here. Check your work.

4. Feb 14, 2019 at 7:40 PM #3
    Found the error. Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?