Is the IPSP at University of Leipzig Right for a Future in Theoretical HEP?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Hello! I'd like to ask: if the admission to the IPSP program is unrestricted, why does the decision require a month after the submission of the application? Also, to be eligible for a direct admission to a German university, from my country, one has to have successfully completed a year in college? What does the successful completion of a year here mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyler Romans said:
Hi everyone

I've been looking into applying for the IPSP program for around 9 months now (I missed the deadline last year) and can't believe I just now found this. Just reading the comments on this forum has been more help to me than everything I've searched through in the past few months. I still have a few questions though if anyone would be kind enough to help.

1. I'm coming from the U.S. where I have studied all my life. From my understanding, I don't need to include any proof of English competency documents, because it is my primary language. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. I know I need a certified photocopy of my high school transcript and diploma, as well as my college transcript and degrees. What exactly constitutes a certified photocopy? Here is what I'm picturing: I bring my degrees (the originals) to the university from which I graduated, where they have some kind of licensed employee take a photocopy of them and put a stamp on the photocopy basically saying "this is real". I then scan the new photocopies of my degrees and send them digitally to uni-assist (along with the certified photocopy of my transcript), as well as sending the actual hard copies I just received through the post to uni-assist. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hey Tyler! Perhaps the best way to get your documents attested is for you to visit a German embassy in your region. Most of those have information about that process and its timings and booking schedule on their websites.

I have applied for this year's first semester of the Bachelors program. Hopefully, I will get in, in which case I am sure to attend. Do not hesitate to get in touch if we are to be classmates.

Hello, I would like to apply to the IPSP master programme. Is there any master student there or anyone who knows about the application and admission procedure that could give me a method of contact so I can ask a few questions? It would be much easier if we could chat. Thanks!

Hello
I am from Jordan and hold a bachelor of medicine and surgery,since 2016.
I want to apply to IPSP physics bachelor degree for winter semester.

Anybody with similar experience?
for now , I will start reading calculus and feynman lectures to prepare, as in medicine I was not exposed to math and physics.is that ok?As far as I know : I do not need testAS and preparatory course right?
I also have ielts. but not german language.

thank you and wish us all best of luck

Hi, I am from Chile and am currently waiting for my TOEFL results to send my application for the WS 2018. I have already been in a physics program in my country but didn't like the university so I'm applying for this program.
I have read all the comments saying how hard the program is and I'm a little freaked out, yet exited.
I've already passed linear algebra and calculus in my studies, but I'm unsure about how deep the program will go into these courses, I have the level of Stewart's calculus and David c. Lay linear algebra, is that what the course covers or more?
Good luck with your applications

Hi, I'm from Oregon in United States where I'm just about to graduate high school. When I reached out to uni-Assist as well as someone at the university itself, they said that if I am to directly enroll in IPSP, that I will need to submit my SAT or ACT scores in addition to my transcript and diploma. I'm wondering if anyone who has submitted these know if my school can send in a certified copy of the scores or if I need to order myself a copy and then send in that? Hopefully I'll get in for Winter Semester 2018!

Hi guys! I’m from America and am applying with a high school diploma and an ACT score of 29. My question is, that the ACT doesn’t give out copies of scores anymore, and you have to print out your scores. Does uni assist recognise these as official copies? Also, I’ve contacted the international office and they’ve confirmed for me that they don’t have a GPA requirement for the course, at least for American students, is that true? They also have a math prep course before the course starts and I wanted to ask if anyone’s taking it and if it was helpful.
Dankeschön!

Isaak_528 said:
Hi, I'm from Oregon in United States where I'm just about to graduate high school. When I reached out to uni-Assist as well as someone at the university itself, they said that if I am to directly enroll in IPSP, that I will need to submit my SAT or ACT scores in addition to my transcript and diploma. I'm wondering if anyone who has submitted these know if my school can send in a certified copy of the scores or if I need to order myself a copy and then send in that? Hopefully I'll get in for Winter Semester 2018!
Hi Isaac!
Did you take the ACT or SAT?

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hi Isaac!
Did you take the ACT or SAT?
Hey Yasmine, I took both, but I'm going to be using my ACT score to apply (because I didn't do well on the SAT).

Isaak_528 said:
Hey Yasmine, I took both, but I'm going to be using my ACT score to apply (because I didn't do well on the SAT).
May I ask what you got? Also, are you doing a year of university and then applying? I am a high school graduate who is applying this year so I would like to know if there are others like me!

Yasmine Gelbman said:
May I ask what you got? Also, are you doing a year of university and then applying? I am a high school graduate who is applying this year so I would like to know if there are others like me!

I got a 30 on the ACT, so that plus my high school transcripts and diploma are making it possible for me to directly enroll instead of going to a Studienkolleg . I graduate from high school June 2018, so pretty much as soon as I graduate I'll be trying to finish up my application and then I wait until August to hear back. So no, I won't be doing a year of university, I'll ideally just be going to Leipzig after I graduate.

Isaak_528 said:
I got a 30 on the ACT, so that plus my high school transcripts and diploma are making it possible for me to directly enroll instead of going to a Studienkolleg . I graduate from high school June 2018, so pretty much as soon as I graduate I'll be trying to finish up my application and then I wait until August to hear back. So no, I won't be doing a year of university, I'll ideally just be going to Leipzig after I graduate.
Hi Isaak!
This is great to hear since we are exactly in the same situation. I got a 29 on the ACT and will be doing my application in June 2018 as well, also hearing back in August. One question for you, when you send your ACT scores to Uni assist, what copy do you plan to use? The ACT stopped giving out hard copies and only let you print an online score report that doesn’t look official, which really concerns me. I’ll just send that, but is that what you’re sending? I’m not too sure what to do if uni assist does not accept it.

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hi Isaak!
This is great to hear since we are exactly in the same situation. I got a 29 on the ACT and will be doing my application in June 2018 as well, also hearing back in August. One question for you, when you send your ACT scores to Uni assist, what copy do you plan to use? The ACT stopped giving out hard copies and only let you print an online score report that doesn’t look official, which really concerns me. I’ll just send that, but is that what you’re sending? I’m not too sure what to do if uni assist does not accept it.

Yasmine, its nice to hear that we're in the same spot! I went onto the ACT website and then went to send scores, selected the date of the test I am using, clicked on the continue with score report request, scrolled down to the bottom of the page and it says "personal copy." So I ordered that and it actually came pretty quickly. In terms of official-ness, its on nicer paper and looks probably more official than the one you can print yourself. I will most likely have my school look at my ACT scores and then write a letter saying that its authentic. But yeah, I don't know what to do either if UniAssist doesn't accept it.

Isaak_528 said:
Yasmine, its nice to hear that we're in the same spot! I went onto the ACT website and then went to send scores, selected the date of the test I am using, clicked on the continue with score report request, scrolled down to the bottom of the page and it says "personal copy." So I ordered that and it actually came pretty quickly. In terms of official-ness, its on nicer paper and looks probably more official than the one you can print yourself. I will most likely have my school look at my ACT scores and then write a letter saying that its authentic. But yeah, I don't know what to do either if UniAssist doesn't accept it.
Hi Isaak, I did the same thing! Hopefully this will be enough, but it seems the university really wants to accept people since they’ve told me to email the international office if uni assist doesn’t recognise it, and that they’ll “take care of it”. Not sure what this means, but I’m pretty hopeful that they’ll help people like us out of something happens. I would email them too if uni assist doesn’t recognise the score!

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hi Isaak, I did the same thing! Hopefully this will be enough, but it seems the university really wants to accept people since they’ve told me to email the international office if uni assist doesn’t recognise it, and that they’ll “take care of it”. Not sure what this means, but I’m pretty hopeful that they’ll help people like us out of something happens. I would email them too if uni assist doesn’t recognise the score!

Which email would you use to contact international office? Their website has so many emails that you could reach out to, and the one that I had contacted a few months ago never responded, so I'm not sure if it worked or not.

Likes Isaak_528 and Ahmed el tantawi
Hey all. I am from India. I applied for the bachelors program. Uni-assist sent my application to the university two weeks ago, but I have still not heard from the university. Am I possibly missing something about the application process? Do I need to do anything apart from submitting my application to uni-assist? Also, has anybody received an admit?

Hey guys
I'm considering applying for IPSP program and i have the paper ready since last year.. but i ran out of time and the deadline was too late for me.
I was wondering do i have to preapre all papers again or they won't mind that it's from last year?
I'm talking about the ilets certificate and my education certificates.

Does anyone know if there is age limit for applying for this program?

Likes Yasmine Gelbman
Ahmed el tantawi said:
I don't see why there would be. Pretty sure you just have to have the educational background and you'll be okay.

Likes Ahmed el tantawi
Ahmed el tantawi said:
Hi there Ahmed,
Although I doubt that there will be any explicitly said age limit, it is common throughout Germany for there to be a cutoff for bachelors degrees and I think it is most of the time 25-28. May I ask how old you are?
Typically, you’ll only find younger people in these programs

Hi. I got in :D, and finished enrolling through the university's online system.
I will be happy to help if you need any information about the application process that I just went through.

Manik Dawar said:
Hi. I got in :D, and finished enrolling through the university's online system.
I will be happy to help if you need any information about the application process that I just went through.
Congratulations.
I just have a question, do they require the studienkolleg from you (because my country's high school leaving certificate is not equivalent to the abitur)
And I also studied a year in medecine? but took a year off

MedLam said:
Congratulations.
I just have a question, do they require the studienkolleg from you (because my country's high school leaving certificate is not equivalent to the abitur)
And I also studied a year in medecine? but took a year off

Thanks. I have completed four semesters of a Bachelors, Physics course here in India. I have the University Entrance Qualification for all types of Universities offering courses in Technical, Mathematical, and Scientific subjects. In India, one of the ways for one to have the University Entrance Qualification is for them to have successfully completed a year of studies in a recognized university, in a (subject-wise) relevant course. So, I don't require a Studienkolleg.

Manik Dawar said:
Thanks. I have completed four semesters of a Bachelors, Physics course here in India. I have the University Entrance Qualification for all types of Universities offering courses in Technical, Mathematical, and Scientific subjects. In India, one of the ways for one to have the University Entrance Qualification is for them to have successfully completed a year of studies in a recognized university, in a (subject-wise) relevant course. So, I don't require a Studienkolleg.
Even if it's medicine? and by the way, what's the admission rate? and do they take your grades in these semesters into consideration?

MedLam said:
Even if it's medicine? and by the way, what's the admission rate? and do they take your grades in these semesters into consideration?

I am not sure about the medicine part, and about the admission rate either. They did take my semester grades into consideration.

Hey, American students, in addition to ACT or SAT scores, what does your GPA have to be? Because the university says it does not have a GPA requirement but I’ve heard from many that it has to be a 3.00

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hey, American students, in addition to ACT or SAT scores, what does your GPA have to be? Because the university says it does not have a GPA requirement but I’ve heard from many that it has to be a 3.00

If you go to this link on the DAAD database on admission requirements https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nac...7293-daad-database-on-admission-requirements/ it let's you know what credits and what grade minimums you need in each of those classes (at least for American students, I haven't checked for other countries if it is as detailed). But it looks like you need a minimum C average in most all classes, which is a 2.0 average I believe.

Isaak_528 said:
If you go to this link on the DAAD database on admission requirements https://www.daad.de/deutschland/nac...7293-daad-database-on-admission-requirements/ it let's you know what credits and what grade minimums you need in each of those classes (at least for American students, I haven't checked for other countries if it is as detailed). But it looks like you need a minimum C average in most all classes, which is a 2.0 average I believe.
Hey Isaak!
Once again, thanks for being so helpful. I saw that too and that seems to be the case. Let’s hope for the best! I’m applying next Monday

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Yes, It should be 3.0 according to them.

How do I exactly apply for IPSP?
I have applied electronically via uni assist already, but have heard back nothing.
Do I need to pay application fee and send the application by post?
It's confusing.

Doyeon Jin said:
How do I exactly apply for IPSP?
I have applied electronically via uni assist already, but have heard back nothing.
Do I need to pay application fee and send the application by post?
It's confusing.
Yes, you definitely need to print out the application and send an official copy of all your papers to uni assist in Berlin. I think the address is on the university website but if you can’t find it I can definitely get it for you!

Is it "Universität Leipzig c/o uni-assist e. V. Geneststraße 5 10829 Berlin GERMANY?"

Doyeon Jin said:
Is it "Universität Leipzig c/o uni-assist e. V. Geneststraße 5 10829 Berlin GERMANY?"
Yup!