1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign on change in electric potential energy

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out why potential energy decreases in this situation
    http://imgur.com/9PfjRVE [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    ΔU = FΔy

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I define up to be positive, and ΔU = FΔy. In this picture, force is pointing down (so it is negative) and the height decreases so Δy is negative.
    Then ΔU = (-F)(-Δy) = FΔy. So then change in electric potential energy is positive, which means it should be increasing. But in the picture it says that U decreases.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Force is negative gradient of the potential, so ΔU = - FΔy.

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3
    Is there a reason it is negative? Everywhere in my book it keeps defining it as positive. And if it is anything like gravitational potential energy, shouldn't it positive? U = mgh for gravitational PE and U = qEy for electric potential energy.

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4
    Think of this though: With the gravitational potential energy ##mgh## you don't use Final-Initial when you're calculating a work done. You do Initial-Final. Which is effectively ##-\Delta U ## If by ##\Delta## we understand a procedure of Final-Initial.

For example: The work done by the gravitational field as an apple falls from a height of 5 m.

##m_{apple} (9.8m/s^2) (5m) - m_{apple} (9.8m/s^2) (0m)##

6. Apr 15, 2015 #5
    Now that I think about it, Work = FΔy = -ΔU.

So I'm assuming you can't set reference points anywhere you would like when it comes to electric potential energy? For example, if I made the reference point the height of an electron, and an electron moves below the reference point, I can't automatically assume that potential energy is negative?

7. Apr 15, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential energy in a point A is defined as the work done by the force when the body moves from A to the place where the potential is zero.

So U(A)-U(0)=FΔr. U(A) is the initial potential energy and U(0) is the final one. We define the change as the final value - initial value. ΔU=U(final)-U(initial) so U(A)-U(0)= -ΔU: ΔU = - FΔr.
    In cases of gravity, U = mgh, and the force of the Earth points downward. In case of a falling body, the potential energy decreases.

8. Apr 15, 2015 #7
    Adding to this, does the sign of the charge determine whether or not the potential energy is negative at this position?

9. Apr 15, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The electric field strength is the force exerted on a unit positive charge, and U is the potential energy of the unit positive charge. The force on a charge q is F=qE, and the work by the field when the charge moves from yA to yB is W=qE(yA-yB= U(A)-U(B)) = - q ΔU.
    The charge of the electron is negative. In the electric field, it moves in the direction of decreasing potential energy, which means increasing potential.

10. Apr 15, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The potential is given, but the potential energy of the charge depends on the sign of the charge .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted