Signal processing in matlab, what is signal length ?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Matlab to construct a signal of length 8192 that contains three frequencies. The signal is defined as x=0.5*sin(2*pi*200*t)+0.2*sin(2*pi*455*t)-0.3*sin(2*pi*672*t) and the absolute value of its DFT is computed and plotted. The question is raised about the meaning of signal length and why it is expressed in powers of 2. The expert suggests that it refers to the number of samples in one period of the complex waveform. There is uncertainty about how to define the length of the signal in Matlab.
bert2002

Homework Statement

Use Matlab to construct a signal of length 2^13 = 8192 that contains only three frequencies:

x=0.5*sin(2*pi*200*t)+0.2*sin(2*pi*455*t)-0.3*sin(2*pi*672*t)

Compute and plot the absolute value of the DFT.

What does the question mean by signal length and why is it expressed in powers of 2 ? x is clearly my signal but how do i define its length ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think it couldn't mean anything other than the number of samples in the period of that complex waveform. Does that make sense?

I don't know (i.e. remember) Matlab.

thanks, anyone have any idea how i give my signal this length ?

Last edited:

1. What is signal processing in Matlab?

Signal processing in Matlab refers to the use of the Matlab software to analyze, manipulate, and extract information from signals. Signals can include audio, images, videos, and other types of data. Matlab provides a variety of tools and functions for processing signals, making it a popular choice for scientists and engineers.

2. How does Matlab handle signal processing?

Matlab has a built-in signal processing toolbox that contains functions and tools specifically designed for signal processing tasks. These tools allow users to perform operations such as filtering, spectral analysis, and time-frequency analysis on signals. Additionally, Matlab allows for the creation of custom scripts and algorithms for more advanced signal processing tasks.

3. What is the length of a signal in Matlab?

The length of a signal in Matlab refers to the number of data points or samples that make up the signal. This can vary depending on the type of signal being analyzed. For example, an audio signal may have a length of several thousand samples, while an image signal may have a length of several million pixels.

4. Can I change the length of a signal in Matlab?

Yes, you can change the length of a signal in Matlab using various methods such as downsampling, upsampling, and interpolation. These methods allow you to adjust the number of data points in a signal while preserving its overall shape and characteristics. This can be useful for processing signals of different lengths or for reducing the computational load of signal processing tasks.

5. Are there any limitations to signal length in Matlab?

Yes, there are limitations to signal length in Matlab, as with any other software or programming language. These limitations are typically related to the amount of memory and processing power available on the computer. If a signal is too long, it may result in memory or computational errors. However, Matlab also provides tools for handling large signals, such as dividing them into smaller segments for processing.