Significance of Surface and Coulomb Terms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
genloz
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
I recently had a test question posed to me that asked firstly for an explanation of the terms in the semi empircal mass formula (which I gave correctly) but then went on to ask:

For
[tex]^{40}_{20}Ca[/tex]
and
[tex]^{208}_{96}Pb[/tex]
estimate the fraction of the binding energy provided by the surface and coulomb terms, and comment on the significance of these results...

So I estimated:
Pb
Surface: 17.23*(208)^(2/3) = 604.868
Coulomb: (0.714*96^2)/(208^(1/3)) = 1110.58

Ca
Surface: 17.23*(40)^(2/3) = 201.52
Coulomb: (0.714*20^2)/(40^(1/3)) = 83.5

But could not work out at all what the significance was... I have a feeling the same question will be on the exam, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I've found that for higher atomic numbers the surface and coulomb terms are almost equal to the binding energy, but they're subtracted from the volume term which makes me confused again...
 
Also how do I estimate total binding energy without the other terms?