Solve GHY Boundary Term Problem for Calculations

In summary, the author attempted to add a Gibbons-Hawking-York boundary term to the Einstein-Hilbert action, but did not obtain the same result as the authors of the referenced paper. There is a problem with the beginning of the author's thinking, which needs to be resolved.
Zitter
Hi everybody ! In one of my papers I need to add Gibbons-Hawking-York boundary term in order to calculate everything properly. I found a paper (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269316306530 ) in which authors included this term into the action. My problem is: I tried to calculate this term as a practice work, but I didn't obtain the same result as authors of paper. There is no point in posting my result, because my formula is much bigger than compact form from paper. I checked my hand-made calculations in Mathematica and they are the same, so probably there is a problem at the beginning of my thinking. Could somebody tell where is the error ?

1) Firstly, I calculated the trace of extrinsic curvature ##K=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}}\partial_{\mu} (\sqrt{-g} n^{\mu})##, where ##n_{\mu}## is the unit vector normal to the boundary. The hyper-surface boundary is given by ##r=R_0##, where ##R_0## is constant. I obtained ##n_t=0,\ n_r=\sqrt{\frac{B}{A}},\ n_{\varphi}=0## and ##n^t=0,\ n^r=\sqrt{\frac{A}{B}},n^{\varphi}=0 ##.

2) In order to add GHY term into Einstein-Hilbert action I used Stokes theorem to change "surface" integral into "volume" integral. One can rewrite ##K## as ## \bar{K}^{\mu}n_{\mu}##, where ##\bar{K}^{\mu}## is vector ##(\bar{K}^t,\bar{K}^r,\bar{K}^{\varphi})=(0,\sqrt{\frac{A}{B}}K,0)##. By using Stokes theorem expression ##d^2x \sqrt{-h} K## is replaced by ##d^3x \sqrt{-g} \bar{K}^{\mu}_{;\mu}##, where ##\bar{K}^{\mu}_{;\mu}## is divergence of ##\bar{K}^{\mu}## vector.

3) Now, inside action integral we have ##\sqrt{-g}\left(\frac{1}{2\kappa}(R-2\Lambda)+\frac{1}{\kappa}\bar{K}^{\mu}_{;\mu}\right) ## plus ##\sigma##-model part.

Is this reasoning correct ? Thank you in advance for any help. Few months ago I changed my field of study from QM to GR and I have gaps in knowledge, which of course I try to reduce as hard as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zitter said:
1) Firstly, I calculated the trace of extrinsic curvature ##K=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}}\partial_{\mu} (\sqrt{-g} n^{\mu})##, where ##n_{\mu}## is the unit vector normal to the boundary. The hyper-surface boundary is given by ##r=R_0##, where ##R_0## is constant. I obtained ##n_t=0,\ n_r=\sqrt{\frac{B}{A}},\ n_{\varphi}=0## and ##n^t=0,\ n^r=\sqrt{\frac{A}{B}},n^{\varphi}=0 ##.

Are you want to check extrinsic curvature of the formula (4) in the paper of Harms and Stern? Dis you calculate the inverse metric ##g^{\mu\nu}##? can you post it?

Yes. I want to calculate ##K## by using ansatz on metric given by formula (4) in the paper. The inverse metric I calculated is
$$\begin{pmatrix}
-\frac{1}{A+3r^2\Omega^2 }& 0 & \frac{2\Omega}{A+3r^2 \Omega^2} \\
0 & \frac{A}{B} & 0 \\
\frac{2 \Omega}{A+3r^2 \Omega^2} & 0 & \frac{A-r^2\Omega^2}{r^2A+3r^4 \Omega^2}
\end{pmatrix}$$

Zitter said:
Yes. I want to calculate ##K## by using ansatz on metric given by formula (4) in the paper. The inverse metric I calculated is
$$\begin{pmatrix}
-\frac{1}{A+3r^2\Omega^2 }& 0 & \frac{2\Omega}{A+3r^2 \Omega^2} \\
0 & \frac{A}{B} & 0 \\
\frac{2 \Omega}{A+3r^2 \Omega^2} & 0 & \frac{A-r^2\Omega^2}{r^2A+3r^4 \Omega^2}
\end{pmatrix}$$
The metic ##g_{\mu\nu}## can be written as
$$
\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
-A+r^2\Omega^2 & 0 &0\\
0&\frac{B}{A} & r^2\Omega\\
0&r^2\Omega&r^2
\end{array} \right]
$$
Am I right?

The ##r^2\Omega## term should be in positions (1,3) and (3,1), but thanks to you I found error in my calculations. I forgot that it should be ##r^2\Omega## and not ##2r^2\Omega## :D. Now everything is ok and calculations are correct .

1. What is the GHY boundary term problem?

The GHY boundary term problem refers to a calculation method used in general relativity to account for the boundary conditions and constraints of a physical system. It is named after the scientists Gary Gibbons, Stephen Hawking, and Jim Hartle who developed the concept in the 1970s.

2. How is the GHY boundary term problem solved?

The GHY boundary term problem is solved by incorporating the boundary conditions and constraints into the calculation of the action integral in general relativity. This is done by adding a boundary term to the action integral, which accounts for the effects of the boundaries of the system.

3. Why is the GHY boundary term problem important?

The GHY boundary term problem is important because it allows for a more accurate and complete calculation of the action integral in general relativity. By including the effects of the boundaries, the solution to the equations of motion can be more accurately determined, leading to a better understanding of the physical system.

4. What are some applications of the GHY boundary term problem?

The GHY boundary term problem has various applications in theoretical physics, including the study of black holes, quantum gravity, and cosmology. It is also used in numerical simulations and calculations of gravitational systems to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving the GHY boundary term problem?

One of the main challenges of solving the GHY boundary term problem is the complex mathematical calculations involved. It requires a thorough understanding of general relativity and differential geometry. Additionally, the boundary conditions and constraints may not always be well-defined, making the calculation more challenging.