How to understand when surface terms go to zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of surface terms going to zero in the context of Lagrange's equations. It is mentioned that the surface terms go to zero because the end points are fixed, and that this can be seen by the fact that if the variation delta q is zero, then delta q times X will also be zero. However, it is clarified that this only applies to the end points where the Parts terms are evaluated, and not everywhere. It is noted that this concept can also be applied to integrals, where delta q is any variation on the path between two fixed endpoints. The conversation also mentions that this concept is applicable to the attached section, where it is mentioned that the surface terms go to zero, specifically the
Ebarval
TL;DR Summary
When do surface terms go to zero?
Hi all,
I'm trying to understand when surface terms go to zero. I'm not really getting a connection other than many textbooks just saying surface terms go to zero.
I have added a photo of Liboff's Kinetic Theory page 3 on Lagrange's equations. Before equation 1.7, he says the surface terms go to zero because the end points 1 &2 are fixed. But can't the Lagrangian still have a differential with respect to qdot?

Attachments

• LagrangeSurfaceTerm.PNG
    LagrangeSurfaceTerm.PNG
    45.6 KB · Views: 205
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If ##\delta q = 0## then ##\delta q \times X = 0##, whatever ##X## is.

PeroK said:
If ##\delta q = 0## then ##\delta q \times X = 0##, whatever ##X## is.
But then why can't that be done on the step after eqn 1.6 or 1.6 itself?

Ebarval said:
But then why can't that be done on the step after eqn 1.6 or 1.6 itself?
Because it's not zero everywhere. Only at the end points where the Parts terms are evaluated.

PeroK said:
Because it's not zero everywhere. Only at the end points where the Parts terms are evaluated.
Ah I see! Thank you!
But now I have more questions. How can I tell from integral if something will end up as a surface term and that it goes to zero if there is no such delta term explicitly multiplying?

Ebarval said:
Ah I see! Thank you!
But now I have more questions. How can I tell from integral if something will end up as a surface term and that it goes to zero if there is no such delta term explicitly multiplying?
In this case, ##\delta q## is any variation on the path between two fixed endpoints. That's all there is to it.

How about for the attached section? They mention the surface terms go to zero which I assume are the uk*ul

Attachments

• LiouvilleOp.PNG
    LiouvilleOp.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 203
  • LiouvilleOp1.PNG
    LiouvilleOp1.PNG
    52.5 KB · Views: 196

1. What are surface terms in science?

Surface terms refer to the mathematical expressions that arise when calculating the total energy or action of a system, particularly in the context of field theories. These terms are typically associated with the boundaries or surfaces of the system.

2. Why is it important to understand when surface terms go to zero?

Understanding when surface terms go to zero is crucial in order to accurately calculate the total energy or action of a system. In many cases, these terms can be neglected or canceled out, simplifying the calculations and providing a more accurate result.

3. How can one determine when surface terms go to zero?

This determination depends on the specific system and the mathematical techniques used. In general, surface terms will go to zero if the fields or variables that they are associated with approach a constant value or if the boundaries of the system are infinitely far away.

4. Are there any exceptions to surface terms going to zero?

Yes, there can be exceptions depending on the specific system and the mathematical techniques used. In some cases, surface terms may not go to zero and must be taken into account in the calculations. It is important to carefully consider the specific system and its boundaries when determining if surface terms can be neglected.

5. How can understanding surface terms be applied in practical scientific research?

Understanding when surface terms go to zero is important in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to accurately calculate the energy or action of a system and make predictions about its behavior. This knowledge can also be used to develop new theories and models in these fields.