1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silly question about trig past pi/2

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    I know all the well know angles from 0 to [tex] \pi/2[/tex]. However, past pi/2 I am rather clueless and have no idea what angle corresponds to what value.

For example, in trying to figure out [tex] tan^{-1}(-1)[/tex] How does one know it is 5pi/4 and not 7pi/8? I was debating between measuring pi/4 from the negative x axis (which would give me 7pi/8) and measuring pi/4 from the y axis,(which would give me 5pi/4) but as you can see, I choose the wrong value. Is there a trick to it? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    well

[tex]arctan(-1)=-arctan(1)=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex] so it means that [tex] \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex] lies on the fourth quadrant of the unit circle. So you can get that value by subtracting it from [tex]2\pi[/tex] that is

[tex]2\pi-\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{8\pi-\pi}{4}=\frac{7\pi}{4}[/tex] because -pi/4 is the angle counted clockwise direction.
    YOu know that it does not lie on the 3rd quadrant because tan(x) there is positive. There are other tricks too.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    That's the "problem" with inverse trig functions--since, for example, there are an infinite number of solutions for y to the equation [itex]\tan{y} = x[/itex], in order for [itex]f(x) = \arctan{x}[/itex] to be a well-defined function, you have to consider it as mapping to a particular interval of angles. Without qualification, arctan typically returns values between [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], but any interval of length [itex]\pi[/itex] is valid as long as your usage is consistent. There are similar considerations for arcsin and arccos.

Edit: Because I'm not sure if I made it clear, let me say this: [itex]\arctan{x}[/itex] is usually defined as the function from the real numbers to the interval [itex](\frac{-\pi}{2} , \frac{\pi}{2})[/itex] such that [itex]\tan{(\arctan{x})} = x[/itex] for any real x.

5. Apr 8, 2008 #4
    Oh I forget that arctan is an odd function. Thanks. But what if the question asks for a value for arctan(-1) within pi? I would have tried the 7pi/4 approach if I wasn't restricted to 0 to pi. Thanks.

6. Apr 8, 2008 #5
    If you have to find the value within an interval of a length [tex]\pi[/tex] that doent mean that your interval must be [tex][0,\pi][/tex] , moreover the common interval for this problem is chosen like JohnDuck stated [tex][-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}][/tex].

This means that also [tex]
    \frac{7\pi}{2}[/tex] is within that interval.

7. Apr 8, 2008 #6
    [tex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex]?

8. Apr 8, 2008 #7

Blahhhhhh! Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook