Silly Question [single large force versus several small forces]

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of object breaking under applied force and why multiple smaller forces do not add up to cause the object to break. The idea is compared to a spring and how it takes a certain amount of energy to break it beyond its elastic limit. The conversation also touches on the concept of work hardening and the difficulty of defining the elastic limit for some materials. Finally, an analogy is made to slapping and punching to explain the effect of multiple smaller forces versus one larger force on an object.
Bob33
Hi All,

I'm a first year physics student. This seems like a ridiculous Newtonian question, but I'm trying to mathematically prove this.

If an object takes 5N to break, why is it that multiple six 1N events do not summate to cause that object to break?

I'm thinking it's just conservation of energy, since the energy of each event, of the six, does not summate, but rather dissipates?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I'm going to keep it simple.

Think of the object as being like a spring - it's not a bad analogy as it sounds: many objects are well modeled as a bunch of small masses joined by springs. If they don't seem very springy, they just have very stiff springs.

In order to break the object, you have to apply enough energy to break the spring... i.e. you deform the spring beyond it's elastic limit (if you remember Hook's Law).

But if you don't break it, then the spring quickly returns to normal and ready for the next go.

If it take 5N to deform the spring past it's elastic limit - then 1N won't get anywhere near.
Release the 1N force and the spring just bounces around for a bit and settles down.
Applying another 1N force just repeats this.

There is an in-between conditon though, where a little bit of damage gets done but not enough to break it.
The obvious example is that a tree may spring back fro a hammer blow but an axe will cut a chunk out of it ... repeated axe blows will chop it down.
So it's not all that simple - but you get the idea.

Likes Bob33
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
I'm going to keep it simple.

Think of the object as being like a spring - it's not a bad analogy as it sounds: many objects are well modeled as a bunch of small masses joined by springs. If they don't seem very springy, they just have very stiff springs.

In order to break the object, you have to apply enough energy to break the spring... i.e. you deform the spring beyond it's elastic limit (if you remember Hook's Law).

But if you don't break it, then the spring quickly returns to normal and ready for the next go.

If it take 5N to deform the spring past it's elastic limit - then 1N won't get anywhere near.
Release the 1N force and the spring just bounces around for a bit and settles down.
Applying another 1N force just repeats this.

There is an in-between conditon though, where a little bit of damage gets done but not enough to break it.
The obvious example is that a tree may spring back fro a hammer blow but an axe will cut a chunk out of it ... repeated axe blows will chop it down.
So it's not all that simple - but you get the idea.
Thank you.

Does the "in-between conditon...where a little bit of damage gets done but not enough to break it" occur with the 1N adding up in a summation though? If repeated 1 N events caused the spring to bounce back and forth, would that cause deformation in the spring elasticity? Or, were you referring to a totally different scenario, which is why you mentioned the axe example (i.e. The spring is twisted with 1N, like the axe, rather than stretched with 1N, like the hammer?)

Bob33 said:
Does the "in-between conditon...where a little bit of damage gets done but not enough to break it" occur with the 1N adding up in a summation though? If repeated 1 N events caused the spring to bounce back and forth, would that cause deformation in the spring elasticity?

An ideal spring would not fail, but real objects will under some circumstances. Google for "metal fatigue".

Likes Bob33
Nugatory said:
An ideal spring would not fail, but real objects will under some circumstances. Google for "metal fatigue".
And Work Hardening?

Likes Bob33
Nugatory said:

Thank you. It is a lot more complicated than just saying it summates.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

sophiecentaur said:
And Work Hardening?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

LOL N. N. Taleb makes much of this observation in his 'Antifragility'

sophiecentaur said:
And Work Hardening?

Doesn't work hardening only occur if you exceed the elastic limit?

Lsos said:
Doesn't work hardening only occur if you exceed the elastic limit?
You could be right there. But I think the 'elastic limit' may be hard to define with some materials.

Bob33 said:
Hi All,

I'm a first year physics student. This seems like a ridiculous Newtonian question, but I'm trying to mathematically prove this.

If an object takes 5N to break, why is it that multiple six 1N events do not summate to cause that object to break?

I'm thinking it's just conservation of energy, since the energy of each event, of the six, does not summate, but rather dissipates?

keep all the things aside and just compare the fact to this:
if a slap you hard, you just feel the pain but you are intact...
i slap you...many more times with the same force but you are just intact...
and then after a while, all of a sudden, i punch u with my maximum ability... and the effect is that your face changes the shape and no body is thereafter able to recognize you...
like wise small force arent able to break the object...
:)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a single large force and several small forces?

A single large force refers to a single, strong and concentrated force acting on an object, while several small forces refer to multiple smaller forces acting on an object at different points or directions.

2. Which type of force is more effective in causing motion?

Generally, a single large force is more effective in causing motion as it has a greater magnitude and can overcome the inertia of an object more easily. However, the direction of the force also plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object.

3. How do we calculate the net force of several small forces?

To calculate the net force of several small forces, we need to take into account both the magnitude and direction of each force. The net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on an object.

4. Can a single large force and several small forces have the same effect on an object?

Yes, a single large force and several small forces can have the same effect on an object as long as the net force is equal. This is known as the principle of equilibrium, where the forces acting on an object are balanced and the object remains at rest or in a state of constant velocity.

5. In what situations would a single large force be more beneficial than several small forces?

A single large force would be more beneficial in situations where a strong and sudden impact is required, such as pushing a heavy object or accelerating a vehicle. Additionally, a single large force can also be more efficient in terms of energy consumption compared to several small forces.