1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silver Nitrate reacting with K2C2O4 Balanced reaction HELP!

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In lab we did a reaction where we diluted silver nitrate with K2C2O4 and then boiled it for ten minutes until solid formed, then we filtered out the solid.

I have to write a balanced equation for this reaction and am having a real hard time

2. Relevant equations

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)

3. The attempt at a solution

All i have so far is:

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)---> AgK2 (s) + NO3 (g) + CO2 (g)

I have no idea if that is even correct and have been looking all over for any help. I can figure out the stoichiometric coefficients myself, but just want to make sure i have the equation correct first. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

K2C2O4 is potassium oxalate, salt of oxalic acid. Check oxalic acid properties.

--
    methods

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3

morrobay

Gold Member

Also for your understanding, you should know that the Ag and K are both in positive valence
    states in the salts and therefor are not going to form any type of bond together

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook