1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Similar to calculating distance of photon traveling in space?

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Bullets of mass 1.53 gm are fired in parallel paths at speeds of 244.4 m/s through a hole 1.99 mm. How far from the hole must you be to detect a 1.77 cm in the beam of bullets

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel as though some crucial information is missing (like a word between "1.77 cm" and "in the beam". Am I missing something here? Can someone just give me a clue on where exactly to start? My professor is not the best at explaining the concept behind the problem sets. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2
    OP here.

So I have tried using Hubble's law, but is this the right approach? Should I be thinking about matter waves?

4. Apr 5, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I imagine that 1.77 cm is the distance between bullets. Is this about resolving some spatial feature at a distance?

Presumably the 1.99 mm is the depth of the hole?

Are you doing something about the uncertainty principle by any chance?

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4
    I figured out the problem. I approached like a single-slit diffraction problem, and after calculating the wavelength of the bullets, calculated the distance to the "screen" to see half of the spread in the beam.

Thanks though. I sort of wish it had been a universe expansion problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook