Help finding distance d for particle to travel

In summary, a beam of charged particles is emitted from an orifice and enters a uniform electric field created by parallel plates. The particles have the same kinetic energy and do not interact with each other. The charge of the particles is -0.0004 C and the particles are prevented from hitting the upper parallel plane by the electric field. The magnitude of the electric field is 4.41×10-13 N/C and the mass of the particles is 3×10−18 kg. The time for one particle to be stopped by the electric field after entering the area is 3.90×10^-2 sec. To find the distance traveled by the particle before being stopped by the electric field, the initial velocity, constant force
asdf12312

Homework Statement

a beam of charged particles is emitted from a very small opening called an "orifice" from the source. Above the source, a set of parallel plates is used to create a uniform electric field E. The distance between the two plates is D = 20 cm. The charged particles enter the electric field with the same kinetic energy Ek = 7.84e-18 J through a small hole (or "pin hole") at the center of the lower parallel plane. The particles are identical and do not interact with each other. The motion of the particles is along the electric field lines. You can ignore gravity.

1. The charge of the particles is q=-0.0004 C. If the electric field is used to prevent the particles from hitting the upper parallel plane, then the direction of the electric field should be ___.

2. If the magnitude of the applied electric field is |E|=4.41×10-13 N/C and the mass of the particles is m = 3×10−18 kg, then what is the time t for one particle to be stopped by the electric field after it enters the area? (We call it "time of flight", technically.)

3. What is the distance d for one particle to travel between the plates before it is stopped by the electric field? (We call this "penetration depth", technically.)

Homework Equations

qE=change in momentum/time
initial momentum=change in momentum=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

i have answers to both #1 and #2 i just need to know how to do #3. reason i included them is if u need answers to them to calculate #3.

1.up
2.using kinetic energy given in problem i got velocity=2.29. then i used qE=change in momentum/time to get answer of 3.90×10^-2 sec. (this is correct i checked).

i just need #3 to find distance d.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a particle with a known initial velocity subject to a known constant force for a known time. How do you find out how far it goes? (I didn't do the calculation, so I'm assuming this is not relativistic.)

sorry just got the answer a while ago. cnt delete this post :(

1. How is distance d calculated for a particle to travel?

The distance d for a particle to travel is calculated using the formula d = v * t, where v is the velocity of the particle and t is the time it takes to travel.

2. What factors affect the distance a particle travels?

The distance a particle travels is affected by the initial velocity, the acceleration, and the time it takes to travel.

3. Can the distance a particle travels be negative?

No, distance is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value. It represents the magnitude of displacement and is always positive.

4. How does the mass of a particle affect the distance it can travel?

The mass of a particle does not directly affect the distance it can travel. However, it can affect the initial velocity and acceleration, which can indirectly impact the distance travelled.

5. Is there a maximum distance a particle can travel?

No, theoretically there is no maximum distance a particle can travel. However, factors such as air resistance and gravity may limit the distance a particle can travel in certain scenarios.