Help Me Find Mass-Energy Equivalence Formula!

In summary, the conversation is about finding the strict mass-energy equivalence formula using simple algebra. The formula is ((m^2)*(c^4)=(E^2)-(p^2*c^2)) and the given equations are (E=m*c^2*y) and (p=m*y*v). The person is stuck with finding (p^2*c^2) instead of (E^2(v^2/c^2)). Another person recommends using the formula for momentum (p=γmv) and solving for v and γ, then substituting into the equation for energy (E=γmc2).
cobi18
Simple algebra to find the strict mass–energy equivalence formula, and I can't do it!

find ((m^2)*(c^4)=(E^2)-(p^2*c^2)) from (E=m*c^2*y) (p=m*y*v)
(y=1/(1-(v^2/c^2))^(1/2))

Yeh i can find the m^2c^4 parts and the E^2 obvioulsy. but then i am stuck with E^2(v^2/c^2) when instead i want (p^2c^2). If anyone could help that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org

cobi18 said:
Yeh i can find the m^2c^4 parts and the E^2 obvioulsy. but then i am stuck with E^2(v^2/c^2) when instead i want (p^2c^2).
Use E=m*c^2*y again.

Doc Al said:
Use E=m*c^2*y again.

That will not solve anything... The formula for the momentum has to be used. I recommend you to start with "p = γmv" and find "v" as a function of "p", then find "γ" as a function of "p" and finaly replace "γ" in "E=γmc2" with what you have found.

cosmic dust said:
That will not solve anything...
Sure it will. It's the first step:
-step 1: use the formula for E as I described
The formula for the momentum has to be used.
Of course it does. That's the second step:
-step 2: then rewrite the results in terms of p

OK, I thought you had say to use the formula for E twice, sorry...

1. What is the mass-energy equivalence formula?

The mass-energy equivalence formula, also known as Einstein's famous equation, is E = mc2. It states that energy (E) and mass (m) are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable.

2. Who discovered the mass-energy equivalence formula?

The mass-energy equivalence formula was first derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity. He proposed that mass and energy are fundamentally linked and can be converted into each other.

3. What does the mass-energy equivalence formula mean?

The mass-energy equivalence formula means that a tiny amount of mass (m) contains a huge amount of energy (E). It also implies that energy has mass and vice versa. This concept has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous nuclear reactions that release large amounts of energy from a small amount of mass.

4. How is the mass-energy equivalence formula used?

The mass-energy equivalence formula is used in various fields of physics, including nuclear physics and particle physics. It is also used in practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons. The formula is also essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies, such as in particle accelerators.

5. Is the mass-energy equivalence formula still relevant today?

Yes, the mass-energy equivalence formula is still relevant today and is considered one of the most significant equations in physics. It has been confirmed by various experiments, and its implications continue to shape our understanding of the universe. It is also used in modern technologies and continues to be a fundamental concept in the field of physics.