1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple angle relationship question

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    So I have a minor in mathematics yet I am confusing myself over the following - if I am given an angle, theta, in degrees and need to find a second angle, gamma, in degrees, and the relationship is tan(theta) = C*tan(gamma), where C is some constant, can I plug in theta in degrees and get gamma in degrees? Or do I need to convert theta to radians, find gamma in radians, then convert gamma to degrees again? If I do it with degrees I get 26.32, but if I do it the radians way i get 27.69.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    Careful, that constant is gonna be different if you're using radians or degrees or arcseconds or what have you, if you just bounce around units and use the same constant, you'll be wrong
  4. Feb 20, 2008 #3

gamma = arctan ((24/13)*tan(15 degrees))

gamma = 26.32
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    Ah, but you got the answer in radians originally, didn't you? Then you had to convert it to degrees

tan(15 degrees)=tan(.261...) they're the outright same number, that value for C will always without fail give you the answer in radians, regardless of what you use in the input
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?