Simple autonomous lawn mower control system

In summary, the conversation is about a student of mechanical engineering who needs help designing a control system for a lawn mower. The system must be able to move by itself using a PIC as the brain, avoid obstacles, and follow a path. The student is seeking advice on what components to buy and how to assemble them to create the hardware for the system. The project is considered a "super project" as it requires technologies that the student currently does not have control over. The conversation ends with the reminder that any project is only one technology away from being impossible to achieve.
zeez89
hello friends..i really need some help on my project, i am going to design a control system for a lawn mower..this mower must be able to move by itself using PIC as the brain,can avoid obstacle,move along path created on the field..what details component must i buy aand how to assemble this components to form a hardware for the system..i'm a student of pure mechanical engineering and i just learn a little bit about this in class..please buddyz..:(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Time to form a team. You have just entered the realm of the "super project."
A super project is, in part, characterized by requiring technologies that you currently don't have under your control (i.e. drive train, motor controls, avoidance sensors, control systems, servo mechanism algorithms, and a guidance system).

Just like any product is one screw away from not being able to ship, any project is one technology away from not being realizable.

1. What is a simple autonomous lawn mower control system?

A simple autonomous lawn mower control system is a robotic system that allows a lawn mower to operate without human intervention. It uses sensors and algorithms to navigate and mow a lawn on its own.

2. How does a simple autonomous lawn mower control system work?

A simple autonomous lawn mower control system works by using sensors, such as GPS, ultrasonic, and boundary wire sensors, to detect the boundaries and obstacles of a lawn. The information is then processed by algorithms to determine the most efficient path for the lawn mower to follow while mowing.

3. What are the benefits of a simple autonomous lawn mower control system?

The benefits of a simple autonomous lawn mower control system include saving time and effort for the user, as well as producing a more consistent and evenly cut lawn. It also reduces noise pollution and is more environmentally friendly as it uses electric power instead of gas.

4. Are there any limitations to a simple autonomous lawn mower control system?

Yes, there are some limitations to a simple autonomous lawn mower control system. It may struggle with complex lawn designs, steep slopes, and large obstacles. It also requires regular maintenance and may be more expensive than traditional lawn mowers.

5. Is a simple autonomous lawn mower control system safe to use?

Yes, a simple autonomous lawn mower control system is designed with safety in mind. It uses sensors to detect and avoid obstacles, and some models also have emergency stop features. However, it is still important to read and follow the safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.