Simple banked curve, centripetal acceleration problem

In summary, the answer for the car negotiating a curve of radius 200 m at 30 m=s without any frictional force being required is that the banking angle is Θ = 27 degrees.
bulbasaur88
If a car can negotiate a curve of radius 200 m at 30 m=s without any frictional force being
required, what is the banking angle

r = 200 m
v = 30 m/s

tanΘ = v2/r
Θ = tan-1(v2/r]
Θ = tan-1(302/200]
Θ =77.47 degrees

I thought this problem was a simple one, but the answer that is provided is Θ = 27 degrees. Will somebody tell me if I did it wrong? Like I said, I thought it was a pretty straightforward question...Hrmm.. Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you got the centripetal force wrong. Draw a free body diagram and see which force causes the circular motion.

bulbasaur88 said:
If a car can negotiate a curve of radius 200 m at 30 m=s without any frictional force being
required, what is the banking angle

r = 200 m
v = 30 m/s

tanΘ = v2/r
Θ = tan-1(v2/r]
Θ = tan-1(302/200]
Θ =77.47 degrees

I thought this problem was a simple one, but the answer that is provided is Θ = 27 degrees. Will somebody tell me if I did it wrong? Like I said, I thought it was a pretty straightforward question...Hrmm.. Thank you in advance :)

Notice that you have not used gravity at any stage, so you are claiming we need exactly the same banking on the Earth, Moon, Jupiter. your v^2 / R value is fine.

See my post below for the correct response.

Last edited:
You don't need the mass, it will cancel when equating forces.

Last edited:
Lobezno said:
I'm not aware (not that it doesn't exist, simply I'm not aware of it) of any way one would solve it that didn't require the mass of the car.

When a "roller coaster" goes around banked curve, you don't have the light people fall in one direction and the heavy people fall in the other! Everyone - including the empty cars - goes around the curves just fine.

The banking required is independent of mass -that is why they can design amusement park rides - but it is not independent of the acceleration due to gravity in the region of the amusement park. Fortunately g = 9.8 covers all our amusement parks.

It also allows road builders to decide what degree of banking they should use for a curve on the highway, without knowing if you will be driving a 900kg small car or a 3 tonne Rolls Royce.
On the highway, they have to base their calculations on a "typical" speed of cars on that section of road, and friction between the tyres and the road becomes far more critical. That also explains why more people run off the road when the road is wet or covered in mud [the co-efficient of friction is smaller]

Pi-Bond said:
You don't need the mass, it will cancel when equation forces.

Notice that weight is mg and centripetal force is mv^2 / R.

Both forces are proportional to mass, so the ratio of the two is independent of mass.

Last edited:
Oooooooooops yeah I realized that a few minutes later. My bad!
cos(theta)=(v^2)rg not tan. Like said above, draw the free body diagram and you'll see why.

cos^1(4.5/g)=theta -> use as many decimal places of g as you please. I can never be bothered to do it with anything other than g=10, but I generally do these problems without paper.

Last edited:
Lobezno said:
Oooooooooops yeah I realized that a few minutes later. My bad!
cos(theta)=(v^2)r not tan. Like said above, draw the free body diagram and you'll see why.

cos^1(4.5/g)=theta -> use as many decimal places of g as you please. I can never be bothered to do it with anything other than g=10, but I generally do these problems without paper.

That cos(theta)=(v^2)r should be cos(theta)=(v^2)rg, but you put the g in on the next line.

A typo, but yeah, it's in the next line.

Whoops I forgot gravity. However with gravity included my answer is still not right :/

MY RE-DO
The only forces are gravity and the normal force.

∑Fy = NcosΘ - mg = 0
NcosΘ - mg = 0
NcosΘ = mg
N = mg/cosΘ

∑Fx = NsinΘ = mv2/r
NsinΘ = mv2/r
mg/cosΘsinΘ = mv2/r
tanΘ = v2/rg = 302 /(200*9.8)
Θ = 24.66381471 degrees

Your calculation is correct. Double check that you have the right info in the problem statement.

Thank you doc al :) I double checked and it is 27 degrees, but I am very certain that the answer key provided by my school is incorrect. Thank you :)

bulbasaur88 said:
Thank you doc al :) I double checked and it is 27 degrees, but I am very certain that the answer key provided by my school is incorrect. Thank you :)

To get 27 degrees you would have to use the sin function rather than the tan function at the very end.
I am very confident of the use of the tan function

1. What is a simple banked curve?

A simple banked curve is a curved road or track that is designed in such a way that the force of friction between a vehicle's tires and the road helps the vehicle to turn without slipping or skidding. This is achieved by tilting the surface of the road or track at an angle, also known as the banking angle.

2. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

3. How is centripetal acceleration related to a simple banked curve?

In a simple banked curve, the centripetal acceleration is provided by the force of friction between the tires of a vehicle and the banking surface of the road or track. The angle of the banking surface is designed to provide the necessary centripetal acceleration for the vehicle to safely navigate the curve without skidding or slipping.

4. What factors affect the amount of centripetal acceleration in a simple banked curve?

The amount of centripetal acceleration in a simple banked curve is affected by the speed of the vehicle, the angle of the banking surface, and the radius of the curve. A higher speed or a sharper curve will require a greater centripetal acceleration, which can be achieved by increasing the banking angle or decreasing the radius of the curve.

5. How is the banking angle of a simple banked curve determined?

The banking angle of a simple banked curve is determined by the speed of the vehicle, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. It can be calculated using the formula tanθ = v^2/(rg), where θ is the banking angle, v is the speed of the vehicle, r is the radius of the curve, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The appropriate banking angle ensures that the centripetal force provided by the frictional force is equal to the centripetal force required for the vehicle to safely navigate the curve.