Simple Centripetal Force Question

In summary, the conversation discusses two possible formulas for solving for radius in a centripetal force problem. The question is asked about what happens to the force when the radius is tripled. The first formula (F_c = m v^2 /r) yields an answer of 1/3, while the second formula (F_c = m 4pi r^2 / T^2) yields an answer of 9. The conversation then goes on to talk about a similar question on a quiz, where the answer was 3. However, there is not enough information given to give a definite answer, as it depends on what is being held constant. Different formulas may be used depending on the given context.
chrisdapos
Hello, I know that there are two possible formulas to solve for radius. You can use (mv^2)/r ,or, (m4pir^2)/T^2. Now, the question is asking when the radius is trippled, the Centripital force is...?

Using the first equation, I come out with 1/3. Using the second equation, I come out with 9.

That confuses me enough, but when I looked back on a quiz we had (sometimes I get solutions from quizs), I found that my teacher asked when radius is tripled, centripital acceleration is...? The answer was 3. Can anyone provide some insight into what I am doing wrong and what equation i should use to get my answer. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
chrisdapos said:
Hello, I know that there are two possible formulas to solve for radius. You can use (mv^2)/r ,or, (m4pir^2)/T^2. Now, the question is asking when the radius is trippled, the Centripital force is...?
First off, there's another useful formula for centripetal force, which I show below. Realize that they are all equivalent; the only thing that changes are is variable of choice: linear speed, angular speed, period.

There's really not enough information given to give a sensible answer. It depends on what is being held constant. Can you give the exact question including any relevant context?

For example: If the problem stated something like "A car races on a circular track. If the speed stays the same, what happens to the centripetal force if the radius triples?" In that case, the relevant formula is the one containing v & r ([itex]F_c = m v^2 /r[/itex]) and the answer is 1/3.

But what if it said "If the angular speed stays the same, what happens to the centripetal force if the radius triples?" In that case, the relevant formula is the one containing [itex]\omega[/itex] & r ([itex]F_c = m \omega^2 r[/itex]) and the answer is that the force triples.

Last edited:
The question reads exactly, if the radius were tripled, what would happen to the centripital force? The preceeding question is describe the relationship between Centripetal Force and: v, v^2, T and M. I don't think the preceeding question holds any context though. Thank you for your help!

Doc Al said:
First off, there's another useful formula for centripetal acceleration, which I show below. Realize that they are all equivalent; the only thing that changes are is variable of choice: linear speed, angular speed, period.

There's really not enough information given to give a sensible answer. It depends on what is being held constant. Can you give the exact question including any relevant context?

For example: If the problem stated something like "A car races on a circular track. If the speed stays the same, what happens to the centripetal force if the radius triples?" In that case, the relevant formula is the one containing v & r ([itex]a_c = m v^2 /r[/itex]) and the answer is 1/3.

But what if it said "If the angular speed stays the same, what happens to the centripetal force if the radius triples?" In that case, the relevant formula is the one containing [itex]\omega[/itex] & r ([itex]a_c = m \omega^2 r[/itex]) and the answer is that the force triples.

isn't [itex] a_c = \frac{v^2}{r} [/itex] and [itex] F = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/itex]?

andrewchang said:
isn't [itex] a_c = \frac{v^2}{r} [/itex] and [itex] F = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/itex]?
Of course. Oops! :redface: I'll fix my post. (Thanks.)

What is a simple centripetal force question?

A simple centripetal force question is a problem that involves calculating the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. It typically involves using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some common real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some common examples of centripetal force in real life include the Earth revolving around the Sun, a car navigating a curved road, and a washing machine spinning clothes.

How is centripetal force related to centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is the perceived outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. These forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

What are the units of measurement for centripetal force?

The units of measurement for centripetal force are Newtons (N) in the metric system and pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

How does the mass, velocity, and radius of an object affect the centripetal force?

As per the formula Fc = mv^2/r, increasing the mass or velocity of an object will increase the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a circular path. On the other hand, increasing the radius of the path will decrease the required centripetal force.