Isobar Decay: 37Ar to 37Cl with Calculated Q Value (Neglecting Electrons)

• Thread starter coregis
  • Start date
In summary, the problem dealing with decay modes involves the isobars 37Ar and 37Cl, with binding energies of 8.279 MeV and 8.336 MeV, respectively. By calculating the masses, the reaction shows that 37Cl decays to 37Ar through beta decay with a positive Q value of 1.292922 MeV. The contribution of electrons is neglected and the binding energy is subtracted from the total mass to calculate the true mass and find Q.
coregis
I think I am doing this correctly, but getting a strange result. Here's the original problem dealing with decay modes:

The isobars 37Ar and 37Cl have binding energies/nucleon of 8.279 Mev and 8.336 Mev, respectively. Show which nuclide decay to the other spontaneously and by what decay mode. (p=1.007277 u, n=1.008665u, 1u=931.5 Mev). Neglect contribution of electrons

Now, keep in mind that in reality, there is EC decay from 37Ar->37Cl.

First thing I did was to calculate Q for the reaction, which meant calculating the masses. I am neglecting electrons like the problem says and I think this is what is putting me off.

37Cl Mass=17*1.007277+20*1.008665=37.297009u
37Ar Mass=18*1.007277+19*1.008665=37.295621u

Oh no! Q must be positive, so now I have 37Cl->37Ar by beta decay...

Q=37Cl M - 37Ar M = .001988u * 931.5MeV/u=1.292922MeV

So did I do this wrong or does my professor want me to give him the fantasy world mode of decay? Am I supposed to use the energy/nucleon somehow? Help, I need all the points I can get. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I figured it out. I need to take the binding energy and subtract it from the total mass of the separate nucleons to calculate the true mass to find Q. Hooray!

Your calculations and reasoning seem to be correct. The Q value for this reaction does come out to be positive, indicating that it is energetically favorable for 37Cl to decay into 37Ar by beta decay. However, as you mentioned, in reality there is also electron capture (EC) decay from 37Ar to 37Cl. This means that the actual decay mode would be a combination of beta decay and EC decay.

In terms of points, it would be best to clarify with your professor on whether they want you to consider only one decay mode or both. If they want you to consider both modes, then you can mention that the actual decay mode would be a combination of beta decay and EC decay. If they want you to consider only one decay mode, then beta decay would be the correct answer in this case.

1. What is a 'simple' decay problem?

A 'simple' decay problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves the decay of a substance over time. It is based on the concept of exponential decay, where the rate of decay is proportional to the amount of substance present. It is usually used to model the decay of radioactive substances or the decay of biological materials.

2. How do you solve a 'simple' decay problem?

To solve a 'simple' decay problem, you need to use an exponential decay function. This function is typically of the form A = A0e-kt, where A is the amount of substance remaining after time t, A0 is the initial amount of substance, k is the decay constant, and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. You can solve for the unknown variables by plugging in the given values and using algebraic techniques.

3. What are some real-life examples of 'simple' decay problems?

Some real-life examples of 'simple' decay problems include the decay of radioactive isotopes, the decay of carbon-14 in organic materials, and the decay of medication in a person's body. Other examples include the cooling of a hot object, the spread of a disease, and the loss of charge in a capacitor.

4. Why are 'simple' decay problems important in science?

'Simple' decay problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand natural phenomena that involve the decay of substances. They also help us make predictions about future events based on current data. Additionally, these problems are used in various fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, to analyze and interpret experimental data.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving 'simple' decay problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 'simple' decay problems include using the wrong formula or equation, not converting the units correctly, and forgetting to include the initial amount of substance in the calculations. It is also important to pay attention to the units when solving for the decay constant, as it will affect the final answer. Lastly, it is essential to double-check all calculations and ensure that the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.