Kinetic energy of alpha particle in alpha decay

In summary, the nuclear decay 21486Rn → 21084Po2- + α has a Q value of 10.2465 MeV and the kinetic energy of the alpha particle is 4.00015u.
Kara386

Homework Statement

Consider the nuclear decay 21486Rn → 21084Po2- + α.
Calculate the Q for this decay, and give the value of the kinetic energy of the alpha particle in the rest frame of the Rn nuclide. The rest mass of the Rn nuclide is 213.9954u, of Po is 209.9829u, of α is 4.00015u and of an electron is 0.0005u. Neglect relativity!

Homework Equations

##Q = (m_P - m_D-m_{\alpha})c^2##
##m_P## is mass of parent, ##m_D## is mass of daughter, ##m_\alpha## is mass of the alpha particle (rest masses, I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation above gives a Q value of 10.2465MeV, assuming that because masses are in units of u then ##c^2=931.5MeV/c^2##. Or that's what I thought, until I noticed the ##2-## superscript for Po. Should I add two lots of the electron mass onto my answer? Not that it makes a massive difference, but since we're given the electron mass presumably I have to use it.

For the second part, label kinetic energy of ##\alpha## particle ##T_{\alpha}##, of daughter nuclide ##T_D##. I'm going to say that since we're in the rest frame of the Rn nuclide, that means it was initiallty at rest? So by conservation of momentum,

##p_{\alpha}+p_D = 0## and ##p_{\alpha} = \sqrt{2m_{\alpha}T_{\alpha}}## ;
##p_{D} = -\sqrt{2m_{D}T_{D}}##. So since ##p_D = -p_{\alpha}##:
##T_{\alpha} = \frac{m_D}{m_{\alpha}}T_D##
That doesn't really get me anywhere, I don't think. Is this the wrong approach? Where could I go from here? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to include the electron mass, and it gives about 10% difference.
Kara386 said:
That doesn't really get me anywhere, I don't think.
Why not? What can you say about ##T_\alpha + T_D##?

mfb said:
You'll have to include the electron mass, and it gives about 10% difference.
Why not? What can you say about ##T_\alpha + T_D##?
10%? Oops, that is pretty big. I'm not 100% sure what Q actually is.Some sort of energy; is it equal to ##T_{\alpha}+T_D##?

Well, your Q-value was 10 MeV, and the mass of two electrons is about 1 MeV.

Q: Right. Energy is conserved, so the total energy of the final state (masses+kinetic energies) has to match the total energy of the initial state (radon mass).

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy in alpha decay?

Kinetic energy in alpha decay is the energy possessed by an alpha particle as it is emitted from a radioactive nucleus. It is calculated as one half times the mass of the alpha particle multiplied by its velocity squared.

2. How is the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay related to its mass?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the alpha particle increases, its kinetic energy will also increase.

3. Can the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is a measure of an object's motion, and a negative value would indicate a decrease in motion which is not possible in this scenario.

4. How does the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay compare to other forms of radioactive decay?

The kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay is typically higher than that of other forms of radioactive decay, such as beta decay and gamma decay. This is because alpha particles have a larger mass and therefore require more energy to be emitted from the nucleus.

5. Can the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an alpha particle in alpha decay can be measured using various methods such as particle detectors and spectrometers. This allows scientists to study the energy distribution of alpha particles and further understand the process of alpha decay.