Simple Differentiation - Is this legal / correct method?

So the original equation is ##x = 2L \sin(θ/2)##. Differentiate both sides with respect to x: ##1 = 2L \cos(θ/2) \cdot \frac{d(θ/2)}{dx}##. Then solve for ##d(θ/2)/dx##.In summary, the conversation is about implicit differentiation and the use of the chain rule to find the derivative of an equation involving θ. This approach is correct and leads to the same result as using integration by parts. The use of differentials is also discussed, specifically the chain rule for differentials.
Sirsh
I have the equation:
x = 2*L*sin(θ/2) and in my lecture notes they have converted it to: ϑx = L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ

Is it correct to do the following to get this answer?

x = 2*L*sin(θ/2)
x = 2*L*sin(θ/2)*(ϑ(θ/2)/ϑx)
x*ϑx = 2*L*sin(θ/2)*ϑ(θ/2)
1*ϑx = (1/2)*2*L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ
ϑx = L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ

My problem is I don't see how you can keep ϑx and ϑθ after the differentiation operation has been done, and if it is correct to be able to separate ϑ(θ/2) into (1/2)*ϑθ ?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
I have the equation:
x = 2*L*sin(θ/2) and in my lecture notes they have converted it to: ϑx = L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ
It's called implicit differentiation:

http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/diff/der05/der05.html

x = 2*L*sin(θ/2)
ϑx = L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ
This approach is a little more long-winded, but it's good you get the same result.
My problem is I don't see how you can keep ϑx and ϑθ after the differentiation operation has been done, and if it is correct to be able to separate ϑ(θ/2) into (1/2)*ϑθ ?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
You are treating dx and dθ as differential quantities here. Doing d(θ/2) = (1/2)dθ is perfectly acceptable.

Haven't you studied integration by parts or the use of u-substitution to solve integrals yet?

Sirsh said:
I have the equation:
I'm not sure what character you used, but the above should be dx = L * cos(θ/2) dθ
Sirsh said:

x = 2*L*sin(θ/2)
No. Differentiate both sides with respect to x.
From this you get 1 = 2 * L cos(θ/2) * d/dx(θ/2), or
1 = 2 * L cos(θ/2) * 1/2 * dθ/dx

You can then solve algebraically for dθ/dx.
Sirsh said:
ϑx = L*cos(θ/2)*ϑθ

You can work with differentials: d(θ/2) = (1/2) dθ
The chain rule is in play here. ##d(θ/2) = \frac{d(θ/2)}{dθ} \cdot dθ = (1/2) dθ##

1. Is simple differentiation a legal method to use in scientific research?

Yes, simple differentiation is a commonly accepted mathematical method in scientific research. It is used to find the rate of change of a function and is a fundamental tool in many fields of science.

2. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using simple differentiation?

There are some limitations to using simple differentiation, such as when the function being differentiated is not continuous or is undefined at certain points. In these cases, more advanced methods may need to be used.

3. How do I know if I have applied simple differentiation correctly?

If you have correctly applied simple differentiation, you should end up with a result that represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. You can also check your answer by verifying that it satisfies the definition of a derivative.

4. Can simple differentiation be used for any type of function?

Simple differentiation can be used for most types of functions, including polynomials, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and more. However, it may not work for some more complex functions that cannot be easily simplified.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using simple differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using simple differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not correctly differentiating a constant term, and not simplifying the final result. It is important to carefully follow the steps of differentiation and double-check your answer for accuracy.