Simple elastic particle problem

In summary, the problem involves two objects, one with a mass of 61.9kg and a velocity of 43.3 cm/s moving to the right, and the other with a mass of 44.9kg and a velocity of 26.9cm/s moving in the same direction. The task is to find the velocity of the second object after an elastic collision. The correct approach is to use the conservation of linear momentum and to remember that in an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved. This will allow for the calculation of the two unknown final velocities.
seanistic

Homework Statement

A 61.9kg object moving to the right at 43.3 cm/s overtakes and collides elastically with a second 44.9kg object moving in the same direction at 26.9cm/s

Find the velocity of the second object after the collision.

Homework Equations

My homework says its in the chapter and section with "velocity of the center of mass" and "momentum in terms of velocity of CM" But I think its wrong and I should be looking at the elastic collision chapter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing conservation of momentum but I don't know the velocity of object 1 after collision.
I tried using the elastic collision equations but those use one mass having a velocity of 0.

I pretty much confused where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
seanistic said:
I tried doing conservation of momentum but I don't know the velocity of object 1 after collision.
I tried using the elastic collision equations but those use one mass having a velocity of 0.

I pretty much confused where to start.

Use the conservation of linear momentum with the two unknown final velocities.
and then remember that in an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved and you can now find the two values for the final velocities.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems systematically and consider all relevant equations and concepts. In this case, you are correct to consider both the concepts of conservation of momentum and elastic collisions. The key to solving this problem is to remember that in an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved.

To begin, you can use the equation for conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, the total momentum before the collision is the sum of the individual momentums of the two objects. Let's call the initial velocity of object 1 as u1 and the initial velocity of object 2 as u2. Therefore, the total momentum before the collision is:

P1 + P2 = (61.9kg * 43.3 cm/s) + (44.9kg * 26.9 cm/s)
P1 + P2 = 2678.27 kg * cm/s + 1208.81 kg * cm/s
P1 + P2 = 3887.08 kg * cm/s

After the collision, the two objects will have new velocities, v1 and v2 respectively. Therefore, the total momentum after the collision can be written as:

P1 + P2 = (61.9kg * v1) + (44.9kg * v2)

Since we know that momentum is conserved, we can set these two expressions equal to each other and solve for the unknown velocities:

2678.27 kg * cm/s + 1208.81 kg * cm/s = (61.9kg * v1) + (44.9kg * v2)

Next, we can use the concept of conservation of kinetic energy to find another equation. In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. Therefore, we can write:

KE1 + KE2 = KE1' + KE2'

Where KE1 and KE2 are the initial kinetic energies of the two objects and KE1' and KE2' are the final kinetic energies after the collision. Since we know the mass and initial velocity of each object, we can calculate their initial kinetic energies using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. Therefore, we have:

KE1 = 1/2 * 61.9kg * (43.3

1. What is a simple elastic particle problem?

A simple elastic particle problem is a type of physics problem that involves a single particle moving in one dimension, usually in response to an external force. The particle is assumed to be elastic, meaning that it can deform and then return to its original shape without any energy loss.

2. How do you solve a simple elastic particle problem?

To solve a simple elastic particle problem, you need to use the principles of Newtonian mechanics, specifically the laws of motion and conservation of energy. You also need to apply the equations of motion, such as the force equation and the work-energy theorem, to determine the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration at different times. Additionally, you may need to use the properties of elastic materials, such as Hooke's law, to describe the particle's behavior.

3. What are some real-life examples of simple elastic particle problems?

Some real-life examples of simple elastic particle problems include a bouncing ball, a spring attached to a weight, and a swinging pendulum. In all of these cases, the particle is acted upon by an external force, causing it to move and potentially deform. By applying the principles of Newtonian mechanics, we can accurately predict the particle's behavior in these situations.

4. How do you account for different types of forces in a simple elastic particle problem?

In a simple elastic particle problem, there are two main types of forces to consider: external forces and internal forces. External forces, such as gravity or a pushing/pulling force, act on the particle from outside. Internal forces, such as the force of a spring or the force of friction, act within the particle itself. To accurately solve the problem, you must account for both types of forces and understand how they affect the particle's motion.

5. What are the limitations of a simple elastic particle problem?

A simple elastic particle problem is a simplified version of a more complex physical system, so it has certain limitations. For example, it assumes that the particle is perfectly elastic, meaning there is no energy loss during deformation. In reality, all materials have some degree of energy loss, so this assumption may not hold true in all cases. Additionally, the problem only considers motion in one dimension, which may not accurately represent real-life situations.