Simple function substitution question

In summary, the conversation is about a function B(p,y) and its relationship with another function y=y(p). The question is whether B(p) is equal to p^2-c(p) based on the given information. The answer is yes, and further clarification is given on the function V(p) and its relationship with B(p).
Gameowner

Homework Statement

if I had a function such that

B(p, y) = py - c(y)

and then knowing that y=y(p), does that mean

B(p) = p^2 - c(p)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gameowner! :wink:

(I would prefer to write it C(p) = B(p,y(p)), but …)

yes :smile:

Gameowner said:
Hey, thanks for your response to my topic, but I want to ask you further since it was great help!

Originally, the question imposes that

B(p,x) = px - c(x), given a constraint that x=f(y).

If we assume a given optimal value of y (y*), then find a function V(p)...

Answer:

I asked my lecturer and he said to replace the x's with the function x = f(y*)...

so I get

B(p,y*) = py - c(y)

Then he goes on saying that V(p) is gotten realizing that y is a function of p such that y*(p).

So can I then go on and say

V(p) = p^2 - c(p) ?

I don't understand what V is supposed to be :confused:

tiny-tim said:
I don't understand what V is supposed to be :confused:

Opps, V(p) is suppose to be an indirect function which should be the same as B(p,x), but given the x=f(y), we can substitute in and out to get an 'indirect version of the same function' but in terms of p alone.

What is a simple function substitution question?

A simple function substitution question is a mathematical problem that involves replacing one variable or expression with another in a given function.

What is the purpose of solving simple function substitution questions?

The purpose of solving simple function substitution questions is to practice and improve our understanding of algebraic manipulation and function composition, which are essential skills in many fields of science and mathematics.

What are the steps to solving a simple function substitution question?

The steps to solving a simple function substitution question are: 1) Identify the given function and the variable to be substituted, 2) Rewrite the function with the substituted variable, 3) Simplify the expression using algebraic rules, and 4) Solve for the new variable or simplify the expression further if necessary.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple function substitution questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple function substitution questions are: 1) Forgetting to substitute the variable in all parts of the function, 2) Making errors in algebraic simplification, and 3) Mixing up the order of operations.

How can solving simple function substitution questions be applied in real life?

Solving simple function substitution questions can be applied in real life situations such as calculating the cost of an item with a discount, finding the final amount of money in a savings account with compound interest, or determining the amount of medication needed for a patient based on their weight and dosage instructions.