Simple Geometry problem is stumping me

• Thread starter PotentialE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
Set that equal to 3/4 the volume of the cylinder, \pi r^2 L, then divide by the cross section area, and solve for h.In summary, the problem involves finding the height of liquid in a cylindrical tank with a radius of 1m, viewed from the side. A vertical rod is lowered to touch the bottom of the tank and the reading on the rod indicates the level of liquid. Using trigonometry, the central angle and cross-section area of the liquid are calculated, and the volume of the liquid is set equal to 3/4 of the volume of the cylinder. By solving for the height of the liquid, the mark on the rod can be determined.
PotentialE

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank of gas with a radius is viewed from the side (so that it looks like a circle, not a rectangle) and has a radius of 1m. Through a hole in the top, a vertical rod is lowered to touch the bottom of the tank. When the rod is removed, the gasoline level in the tank can be read from the mark on the rod. Where on the rod would the mark be if the tank was 3/4 full?

Homework Equations

A = ∏r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a picture (in paint) of my attempts, which mainly consist of some trig, but I can't seem to put it all together

Attachments

• Tanks.png
    Tanks.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
PotentialE said:

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank of gas with a radius is viewed from the side (so that it looks like a circle, not a rectangle) and has a radius of 1m. Through a hole in the top, a vertical rod is lowered to touch the bottom of the tank. When the rod is removed, the gasoline level in the tank can be read from the mark on the rod. Where on the rod would the mark be if the tank was 3/4 full?

Homework Equations

A = ∏r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached a picture (in paint) of my attempts, which mainly consist of some trig, but I can't seem to put it all together

I have a little different opinion than your approach.
The rod is lowered to touch the bottom. It is vertical, not horizontal.
And are you sure no other quantities are given?

Have you covered the area of a sector of a circle?

If the cylinder has radius R and the stick reads that height of liquid is h, Then drawing radii from the center of the tank to the points on the tank where the top of the liquid is gives two right triangles with hypotenuse r and one leg of length r- h. The other leg has length, from the Pythagorean theorem, [itex]\sqrt{r^2- h^2}[/itex]. you can calculate the central angle (between the two radii) as [itex]2 arccos((r-h)/r)[/itex]. The cross-section area, as seen on your picture, from the end, of those two right triangles is [itex]2(1/2)(r-h)\sqrt{(r^2- h^2}= (r-h)\sqrt{r^2- h^2}[/itex]. The cross-section area of the region above the two radii is
[tex]\frac{arccos((r-h)/r)}{\pi} r[/tex]
The total cross-section area, above the liquid, is the sum of those and the cross section area of the liquid is the area of the circle, [itex]\pi r^2[/itex], minus that. Finally, the volume of the liquid is that cross section area time the length of the cylinder.

1. How do I solve a geometry problem?

To solve a geometry problem, you need to first identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, use the appropriate formulas and theorems to find the solution. Make sure to label your diagrams and show all your steps clearly.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a geometry problem?

If you are stuck on a geometry problem, take a step back and review the given information and what you are trying to find. Sometimes, looking at the problem from a different perspective can help. You can also try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. How do I know which formula or theorem to use in a geometry problem?

The formula or theorem you need to use in a geometry problem depends on the given information and what you are trying to find. It is important to understand and remember the different formulas and theorems in geometry, but you can also refer to your textbook or notes for guidance.

4. What should I do if I am getting a different answer than the one provided in the answer key?

If you are getting a different answer than the one provided in the answer key, double check your work and make sure you have used the correct formulas and calculations. It is also possible that there is a mistake in the answer key, so you can ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

5. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

To improve your geometry problem-solving skills, practice regularly and make sure you understand the concepts and formulas. You can also try solving different types of problems and challenge yourself with more difficult ones. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.