Simple harmonic motion and maximum speed

In summary, the maximum speed and acceleration of an object undergoing SHM can be found using the equations v = -Awsinwt and a = Awcoswt, respectively. The maximum acceleration will be -Aω²cos(ωt) and the maximum speed can be found through conservation of energy or when the sine function is minimum.
sauri
I got a question, what is the maximum speed of an object undergoing SHM? and what is the max. acceleration.

I am not sure how to solve this without any data given. I know that velocity v=-Awsinwt. and accleration is a=Awcoswt.
So how am I to find the max speed and max acceleration?. Pls help.

Physics news on Phys.org
sauri said:
I got a question, what is the maximum speed of an object undergoing SHM? and what is the max. acceleration.

I am not sure how to solve this without any data given. I know that velocity v=-Awsinwt. and accleration is a=Awcoswt.
So how am I to find the max speed and max acceleration?. Pls help.

The max acceleration is [itex] - A \omega^2 cos (\omega t) [/itex].

Well, what is the max acceleration you could get if you can use any time you want? That will be when the cos is equal to minus 1! (the max and min values of a cosine function are +1 or -1. Because of the overall minus sign, the acceleration will be maximum when the cosine function is minimum...which is when it is -1). When the sine is -1, what is the value of the acceleration? That's your answer.

The velocity will be max when the sine function is minimum...

Alternatively, to find the maximum speed, you can use conservation of energy.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point in a straight line. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point.

2. How is maximum speed in simple harmonic motion determined?

The maximum speed in simple harmonic motion is determined by the amplitude and the mass of the object. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium point, and the mass affects the frequency of the motion. The higher the amplitude and the lower the mass, the higher the maximum speed will be.

3. What is the relationship between maximum speed and frequency in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum speed and frequency in simple harmonic motion are directly related. As the frequency increases, so does the maximum speed of the object. This means that the object will cover a larger distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a higher maximum speed.

4. How is the period of simple harmonic motion related to the maximum speed?

The period of simple harmonic motion, which is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of motion, is not directly related to the maximum speed. However, the maximum speed occurs at the equilibrium point and at the turning points of the motion, which are determined by the period. So, the period indirectly affects the maximum speed of the object.

5. Can the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion be greater than the initial speed?

No, the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion cannot be greater than the initial speed. This is because the restoring force in simple harmonic motion always acts towards the equilibrium point, causing the object to slow down and change direction at the turning points. Therefore, the initial speed is always greater than the maximum speed.